Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bloomer53_gw

Jade plant rotting from inside out

bloomer53
16 years ago

My large jade plant is rotting from the inside out. I noticed that leaves were dropping off and some were discolored. I thought that it might have mites so I used a commercial brand to kill them. The plant had this a couple years ago and it worked then.

Then i noticed about 3-4 days later one of the large branches looked like it was pinched. I touched it and it fell off. Upon inspection the inside was hollow and black but the outside of the limb looked normal.

I have had the plant in a low light area out of necessity for about a month prior to this happening and was watering the plant weekly. I put the plant outside about 4 days ago and a couple days later I noticed another branch did the same thing.

I saw that somebody had a similar problem about a year ago but there was not a solution posted.

Anybody have any ideas. This plant had been in the family about 20 years and I don't want to loose it.

Comments (6)

• Taprati_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Dear Jo, I should have searched for this solution 2 weeks ago. Anyway I had a beautiful 15 year old jade plant and it started loosing leaves in the fall then the stems started drying up and falling off followed by the large. Trunks rotting. I thought the plant needed repotting so I did. Sadly this did not help. My problem now is that we are into the winter season with snow on the ground. Please help. Also, does pot size matter? Also can vermiculite be used? Thank you.

• lbcorrado
    7 years ago

My jade is doing great, but a couple of big branches got soft, I cut them back with a sharp knife, one of them hardened up and is looking good, the other one got soft again so I cut it back again with a clean knife, what should I do now?

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    7 years ago

Best thing is to start a new thread and upload some pictures to it. You will get a much better response rather than tagging onto the end of a 9 year old discussion. Sorry, but that's just the way it works on the majority of forums :-)

Gill

• breathnez
    7 years ago

And read the thread 'Jade 911' started a few hours ago by another poster.

ez

• sherzam
    5 years ago

I have a jade plant that is 8+ years old. I live in a condo and have it by my front door on 7th floor. Until 4 months ago everything was fine then two branchs dropped off. The branch at drop off point was hallow and the inside a bit up was black and mushy. I took to local nursery but they said they had never seen this. Fast forward and I find two large branches hanging over pot. I touched them and they collapsed at that same type of hollow area. This time I saw a bug so I cut the base back until I came upon a nest of what appeared to be small cockroaches, not plametto bugs. I live in Florida so there is a big difference. They were 1/4” in and some smaller, segmented bodies with antena, dark brown. There were at least 10 of them living in a concave area in the interior of the branch. I took to my local ag department but they didn’t have any advise but to salvage limbs from the plant. Has anyone else seen this?