Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mooky_gw

Many stalked Frankenstien monster of cactus

Mooky
9 years ago

I should preface this by saying I don't know jack about plants and gardening.

A long time ago, I got a Red Ball cactus which had been grafted (I believe) onto some other cactus. The red ball died after a while, but the original plant it had been grafted on kept living. Not only that, but it started growing. This long stalk of a cactus started coming out of it's side, and that thing branched off into another finger, and it kept branching from there. Each branch kept growing roots out sideways, but the darn thing was hanging in midair by now, so the tiny roots kept dying, and the stalks kept growing, since they were still attached to the base plant.

I didn't have a problem with this until the actual base, where all of this was growing from, died as well (this is many years after I originally bought it). So I removed the many-stalked growth and stuck it in a coffee cup with cactus soil until I decide what to do with it. The issue is, the thing is so long, and branched, and gangly, that it's hanging all over the place. It isn't going to last long like this.

I spoke to someone and they told me to snip off the stalks individually and re-pot them separately. Or should I get a wide pot and stick each of the stalks in so it can remain a single plant, but now each of the fingers can grow roots into the soil and it won't be hanging all over the place.

I don't know what's best. You guys tell me.

Comments (4)