Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quick question about Aeoniums:

Posted by hijole 9 Sunny California (aguilerag2@aol.com) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 16:20

My question is a simple one, I know that these are known as winter growers but I'm sure if you can break off branches and propagate them right now in zone 9 ?
The one in question is the black colored one in this picture. Thanks for your help & responses. What happen was I had a potted one fall over and some of the branches fell off :/

Greg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quick question about Aeoniums:

• Posted by teatree zone 8b/Oregon (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 16:48

I sometimes will propagate during the summer if I have a lot of stem (and if it wouldn't hurt to catch possible rot, re-cut, and try again) and/or if I am observing that my Aeoniums are still growing through the hot season. If mine have gone dormant, I usually choose not to mess with them. More often than not, I still have some growing, but I don't have the hell-hot weather you do.

o

Thanks Teatree, I can vouch to that, as far as they still seem to be growing, as a matter of fact a friend of mine which lives in the same city only@ 4 miles away well his look better than some of mine in the winter time.
And at the same time some of mine look big and healthy during winter seasons. That's why I'm evening asking because they seem to have a mind of their own.

Lol.. I know what they say about them and the growing season but I also know what they do :)

I appreciate your response too, I'll follow up on my results in a couple months or so or as soon as I can report any progress one way or another.

Thanks, Greg

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 17:47

Stick them in some dry mix in bright shade and they will root when they are ready. Could be sooner, could be later, but they will root--they are easy here.

o

Thanks hoovb, I actually followed that plan, as I mentioned the plant fell so I had to do something with the stems that broke off so I needed someone to give me a glimmer of hope and all of you did that so thank you all again.

Greg

o

Glad for this Thread, Greg!
My Aeonium (same type as yours) are growing now, as well, and I've been watering to keep them happy. Granted, mine are in a tiny container.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here