Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david90531

Beheading stretched echeveria

DavidL.ca
9 years ago

I'm potting some new plants today and thought I would behead my badly stretched echie that I got from local nursery, the poor thing must be in the dark for quite awhile, and then I accidentally dropped it and broke off its flower stem :(. Is this an okay time to do beheading?
WHere's a good place to "behead"??
{{gwi:587790}}
Another angle
{{gwi:587793}}

And am I supposed to take off all the leaves that are below the cutting point?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments (20)

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

There will be different approaches to this situation.

But, what I've done is cut at a point 1-2 inches below the section of leaves you want to keep. Let the cut end callous in a dry location, away from strong sun, before potting up. This is to reduce the risk of introducing rot. I've had cuttings sitting for weeks on a tray (haven't had chance to pot them up) which are producing new red stringy roots and pups even if there is no medium. I'm pretty sure the leftover stems can produce plantlets as well.
    Once potted, go easy on the watering until you're sure they have rooted out-takes a couple weeks to a month. Gentle tugging will let you know if its rooted or not.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

These are just a couple of mine that are about 45 ~55 days old. Sometimes you'll get lots of new plants and sometimes barely one!

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! So I don't have to remove the all the old leaves from the lower portion of the cut? Just the lower few of the top part I remove?
    And do i have to wait for roots to come out to repot, or as soon as it callouses? Would that be 1-2 weeks or so?
    Sorry for all the questions..

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

This is my way of doing it. It isn't the only way and it isn't necessarily the best way. We all use a method that has proven to work for them under their circumstances. I behead Echeveria at a point on the stem so when I remove the bottom leaves, I have about 2" ~ 3" of bare stem. Some cut things significantly closer (picture) and don't remove leaves and just callous and push the bottom into the their mix. Once I remove the leaves, I allow it to callous; the thicker the stem the longer I wait. I would allow a plant like yours about a week. Allow to callous in a shaded area. Some people allow cutting to lie out until they push out roots and then plant. Usually they have some humidity to help things along. Plant in a mix that will drain somewhat quickly and not stay wet for days on end. Don't water too frequently or the stem WILL rot. You'll know when it has taken root by GENTLY pulling up ever so slightly on the stem. If the mix moves upward, you've got roots!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

If you cut where bikerdoc suggests and remove the leaves up to the red line, and let it callous, can you bury it up to the red line and have roots develop where leaves were removed as well as the bottom? Here in the north I have a few such leggy echies.

tj

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Roots will grow from the bottom of a cut stem as well as old leaf scars.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Thanks, bd.

tj

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys! I've done it! Will post pics tomorrow and see if it's okay. Both the left over stem on the rosette are sitting at a protected area, just gonna wait for them to callous

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

The bottom portion of the stem should be placed out in a sunny area and acclimated slowly if it hasn't been in direct sun, previously.

• Laura Robichaud
    9 years ago

David, I have this same Ech as you have. I kept it dry as a bone last winter and in a South Bay window and it still stretched like crazy. The bottom leaves folded down like yours too. I'm convinced that this type does not winter well inside. My topsy turvy and black prince did winter well in the same conditions.

It's looking decent now that it's outside.

Anyone know the name of this Ech?

This post was edited by LauraRobichaud on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 17:40

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Hard to ID from your sideways picture. Something a bit closer would be helpful. Could be Echeveria peacockii (L) or Echeveria imbricata ( R) or a similar hybrid.

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 11:12

• Laura Robichaud
    9 years ago

I might say peacockii.

• Laura Robichaud
    9 years ago

Color of peacockii, but the leaf thinness of imbricata. Thanks, Howard.

This post was edited by LauraRobichaud on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 14:22

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hm I see, yeah mine looked like this already when I got it from the nursery, in fact I didn't know much about echeverias back then so I thought that's how it's supposed to look! Only discovered that it's actually stretched. I also thought this was a peacockii but the leaves are a bit thinner and narrower.

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is what it looks like afterwards, the top part
    {{gwi:587795}}

And the bottom stem. Should I remove leaves here?
    {{gwi:587796}}

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

I might remove one more row of leaves from the base of the top portion. If you want to try and root them, remove by a lateral back and forth motion.

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thanks. What about the bottom part. Do I remove the leaves there and hope for new growth?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Not sure... I've never had so many leaves on a lower stem.

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh.. hm I'll leave them be for now then. It's been like that since I got it I removed some of the lower leaves already but not touching the top ones until someone says otherwise

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor