Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prayerrock_gw

Crassula calico kitten

prayerrock
14 years ago

I am trying to find information on this crassula and cant seem to find much. I have seen it called a Jade, but I would like to know if it is a true Jade or not. I would like to be able to see pictures of it.

If anyone can help me with information on this crassula I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Mary

Comments (19)

• karen715
    14 years ago

I tried to look for my old post on this plant, but it seems it is too old.

Anyway here is my old Crassula 'Calico Kitten' from that post. It clearly does not resemble a Jade Plant:

{{gwi:588118}}

Alas, I no longer have it. As I recall, it was a bit temperamental about light and water, wanting less of the first and more of the second than I gave it. So it doesn't behave like a Jade plant any more than it looks like one.

• prayerrock
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh a very beautiful plant indeed. No it does not look like a jade at all. Still would like to know the botanical name for it besides just crassula. The quotes on it would indicate a hybrid or sport right?

Thanks Karen!

Mary

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    14 years ago

Mary,

There's only one true Jade, and you have it in abundance. That plant is Crassula ovata. Another reason for using botanical names!

The plant I think you're looking for might be this one, but in a variegated form.

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Crassulaceae/Crassula_perforata.html

When it's in single quotation marks it usually means that it's a cultivated variety (=cultivar) of something that particularly struck the grower's interest, so much so that the grower took it (and perhaps not 100 others of the same seed batch) and selected it for further propagation - the grower also had it published. I'm not familiar with the whys and wherefores of publishing a name but there's a process to it.

So, you have Crassula perforata v. (variety) variegata f. (form) cv. 'Calico Kitten'.

{{gwi:588119}}

I know there's something there in the above sentence that isn't correct, but you might want to know of these common abbreviations.

Here's another variegated member of the Crassulaceae (the Crassula family), but it's a Cotyledon.

{{gwi:466923}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Crassula perforata

• prayerrock
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL..I like your verigated animals:)

When I said true jade I was thinking of real jade plant..there are many vArieties of jades. I saw some one post the crassula calico kitten as a jade, and I wanted to know if it really is a jade or not.

I am convinced now that it is not. I did a search on it but could not come up with much do to the calico kitten name..it brough up all kinds of animal stuff.

Thank you for the explanations and the good information.

and sweet pics;)

Mary

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

I thought either C. perforata var. or maybe C. marnieriana, but that's not quite right for either.

The person w/ this answer would likely be Norma.

So Norma, if you see this, what say you pls???

• karen715
    14 years ago

Actually, it might be Crassula pellucida var marginalis or Crassula pellucida ssp marginalis 'Variegata'.

A google search for Crassula marginalis pulls up pics that resemble 'Calico Kitten' as well as the info that led me to the above names.

Here is a link that might be useful: C. pellucida, etc.

14 years ago

This looks like Karen's plant pictured, doesn't it? I can, like totally, see someone calling a particularly red version 'Calico Kitten'. Whether that's a published name or not I don't know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crassula perforata v. variegata

14 years ago

Yes, it indeed is that plant, isn't it, but as Karen correctly points out, it isn't called 'C. perforata' because it's Crassula pellucida var marginalis.

• prayerrock
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you everyone!

Its a lovely plant and its great to know exactly what it is now:)

Mary

• joscience
    14 years ago

Gorgeous plant! Thanks for the ID Karen, that one is going on my wish list!

• prayerrock
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Right on Jo..mine also:)

Mary

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

Yes, it's charming. I'm partial to variegates myself & especially like them w/ pinkish highlights like that, also the very slight pattern at the leaf edge, very pretty.

• prayerrock
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok so now the first one to find it tell the rest of us that now have it on our wish list..lol

Mary

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Karen715 is corret, perfectly correct, and perfectly spelled out in the correct way, that's the way to go girl.
    I am smiling now, I have the one that is called 'Ruby' a British plant. I also have a green one what has the red dots ( along the borders of the leaf)thus the name of C. marginalis which is a short cut. C humbertii Jacobsen's book is part of this family as well. just another sub. species Norma

• dognapper2
    14 years ago

I bought some of the calico kitten a few weeks ago and only some it was variegated at the time... and still. Does the color change or was it simply 2 types in the pot when I bought it?
    (trying photo thing ;)

[IMG]http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv347/walton521/IMG_0294.jpg[/IMG]

Also would like to know what the plant on the left next to the chick & hen? Bought them same day for my strawberry jar.

[IMG]http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv347/walton521/IMG_0287.jpg[/IMG]

• dognapper2
    14 years ago

DARN! didn't work and can't edit or delete here?

{{gwi:588120}}

• dognapper2
    14 years ago

{{gwi:588121}}

It's budding! (I threw away the plant pot it came in without thinking and it was trash day. Gone is gone!

• dognapper2
    14 years ago

bigger picture of Calico kitten...maybe.

{{gwi:588122}}

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

The green and white is the variegated form, yet there in another form, It 'Pirate Girl' you were perfectly correct on you second post. Notice: there is another name for the dots around the border of the leaves= stomatas Norma Crasulady2

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer