Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19697163

Christmas Cactus Rot and Repot

User
10 years ago

Greeting and Salutations,

I am new to the forum and relatively new to working with plants as well. Two years ago, my wifeâÂÂs parents gave us a Christmas Cactus and I was excited when it bloomed this winter (and the other half in Mayâ¦still working on figuring that out). Yay blooms! (These are from May.)

{{gwi:588158}}

I noticed starting around mid-June, that the base segments (the ones closest to the soil) are turning brown. They crackle like dry leaves in the fall (or like paper when you get it wet and let it dry). The end segments (the newest ones) are still soft and pliable and the middle segments are nice and firm. So IâÂÂm pretty sure I have rot from over-watering/too much water retention. After all, it is in a plastic pot with peat based Miracle Grow Cactus and potting soilâ¦I know, I know, IâÂÂm working on it!

{{gwi:588159}}

Ok so, I have a new clay pot and the ingredients for AlâÂÂs 1:1:1 turface-crushed granite-fir bark gritty mix. When I go to repot, should I (1) transplant the roots and rotted segments and just bury the stems deep enough to cover the rotted segments so it still has a root system? Or (2) break off the stem at the first good segment and replant the stems as cuttings to develop new roots? (I have taken one cutting previously so if all else fails and itâÂÂs a hopeless case I do have that!)

Incidentally, does anyone have any experience using the gritty mix with Christmas Cactus? Since it is a tropical not an arid succulent, IâÂÂm considering making the mix slightly more water retentiveâ¦maybe 2:1:3 or 3:1:2. Any thoughts?

One other question, I know Christmas Cacti like indirect light. Right now it is sitting approximately 10-15 feet from an east facing door (closed in the am when the sun comes through) and 10-15 feet from a southwest facing window which has open curtains all day. Do I need a bit more light? The challenge is the windows in our hose donâÂÂt have sills, but my wonderful wife let me put an extra leaf in our kitchen table for some other plants but there is no more room. One possibility is a hanging planter and I like the âÂÂweepingâ motif for the Christmas Cactus so that could work. Anyway, IâÂÂd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on light and location as well, please.

Many thanks for your feedback and followups!

Nathan

Comments (28)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I skimmed the whole post quickly, but pls. know that's not rot, it's called corking & is absolutely normal for this plant. It's the plant's natural aging, that's why the rest of the growth still looks good.

Pls. consider it like grey hair maybe, an aging thing which is not at all damaging or a problem for the plant, so one can forget about it completely.

I don't use gritty mix, so I can't speak to that. When you re-pot the plant, it's important to set it at the same depth (or as close to it ) as it was before.

I use AV mix w/ extra perlite. You could keep that mix you've got & amend it w/ 50% perlite. The MG C&S mix isn't as bad for these as it is for arid land C&S.

I grow my CC on the edge of my west windows.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi Nathan & Welcome,

I was at work earlier, so posted on the fly.

Oops, sorry I missed that you're giving it a clay pot -- pls. don't, these prefer plastic pots. Good you already know these are tropical, jungle cacti which like humidity (rather than arid land cacti which don't like humidity & therefore do better in clay pots).

Technically this is a Thanksgiving cactus (the jagged stem points tell us that). True Xmas Cacti have rounded stem segments. (Easter cacti are also rounded segments, but a different shape flower.) Some else will likely provide the link on distinguishing holiday cacti.

Your plant looks happy & healthy, if anything I might consider changing it to a shallower pot. Those blooms look great & the plant seems healthy; you seem to be doing very well w/ it as is, even more so if that's your 2nd blooming.

Yes, I'd try to get it closer to the light, is there any furniture next to the doors or windows that you might set this on? Hanging is an option too.

Is that a self-watering pot?

You asked abt modifying the gritty mix? I don't use either of Al's or the gritty mix, but if you do, pls. search/read around here first, for some folks do use those, so try to find & read those posts (maybe Josh, or MeyerMike).

If you do use one of those, I'd suggest following their instructions closely. You said you're a newbie right? The folks who developed these mixes are not. If I'm looking for their advice, I'm going to try & follow it closely.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much for your reply. I had not even considered that it could be natural. Out of curiosity, do you know if that is similar to what happens with jades when the green trunk hardens and becomes woody?

I was worried because the corking feels so brittle and I had come home from work a few days ago and found a stem that had broken off at the base (part of my motivation for joining the forum actually). Is that possibly a symptom of another problem I have overlooked?

Thank you also for the tips on soil and placement. I have a tendency to forget it is a tropical succulent not an arid succulent.

Nathan

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi pirate_girl,

Thanks for your second follow-up and thank you very much for pointing out the preference for the plastic pot. I am not sure if the current pot is self-watering. If so, I doubt that I use the self-watering feature if present because I remove the base when I water and allow the excess to drain out; then reattach the base. Is that a good practice? I'll keep my eyes out for something shallower, but in the meantime I will let it keep on being happy and get it closer to the windows.

I took a closer look at the corking this evening after my earlier reply and realized that the central stem is still intact, just the edges are turning brittle; I hadn't noticed that before. Do the edges ultimately just degrade leaving the stem behind?

When you say AV mix, is that African Violet (still learning the abbreviations)? The main reason I was considering a different soil was that this one has very fine particulates and is starting to break down.

I didn't realize it was Thanksgiving Cactus, thanks for pointing that out!

Before joining the forum I had been doing a lot of reading over the last 4 months or so and I've learned a lot but still have quite a ways to go and there is always more beyond that. I recognize the names you listed for the gritty mix; they had practically become 'household' from the vast amount of info they shared. And then I realized that you were the equivalent for the C&S forum. I'm not sure why I hadn't noticed previously, but I just wanted to say thank you again for you help with my post and for your willingness, patience, and commitment for sharing your knowledge in many others I have read!

Thanks!

Nathan

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Well, you're most welcome. Happy to help when I can, & your kind of thanks are extra nice 'cause you've done the reading & see these conversations take time & effort.

Interesting question abt the Jade corking, never thought abt it, but know what you mean & but it makes sense. But since I don't really grow Jades, I'll leave that for the folks who do. They ought be coming along any time now ;>)

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Hellow, yes the jade corking is very similar to the T cactus corking and is natural.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Greetings, Nathan!

Indeed, you have Schlumbergera truncata, Thanksgiving Cactus.

The process of becoming woody is termed Lignification, and yes it's the same for Jades, which Karen and Teen both mentioned.

While the Gritty Mix is excellent for many plants, particularly woody plants that will be spending several years in the same containers (maples, bonsai, et cetera), I don't personally use it for my jungle cacti.

The mix that I've found to be the best is a bark-based mix, very similar to Al's 5-1-1. Many growers here have switched to bark for their jungle cacti, and they have reported a great deal of success. Start with a quality pine or fir bark, such as "Orchid Bark," and then add some Perlite or Pumice (or other lava rock grit) and a pinch of potting mix (such as orchid mix, AV mix, et cetera). I have also grown these plants in PURE bark, so don't be tempted to add too much potting mix to your bark - you need only a little to bind the other ingredients.

I also recommend that you add a slow-release fertilizer to the mix, and then supplement with a liquid fertilizer in light doses throughout the growing season.

Here's my Christmas Cactus, which was re-potted in October, growing lush and massive on my back deck. Notice the large clay pot. Pic taken July 9th:

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

I've been using Josh's mix for all my EC, TC and my large CC. I repotted my 45 yo CC in the mix in the spring. There's all kinds of new growth emerging. Here it is lounging under a tree for the summer.

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Here is some of my other holiday cacti. The four larger plants in the back are Easter cacti.

The skinny one all the way to the right is a rescue CC that I got for $1 at a town plant sale. It was in drippy wet peat soil. I potted it up in the bark mix. It was in bad shape and lost a few long segments, but you can see new growth emerging.

The other pots are all small varieties of TC cuttings I collected over the winter.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Pretty large CC and TCs. One of my TC has a flower bud!!!!!!. My TC are really enjoying themselves outside. Cant wait to see bloom

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

I'm a big supporter of bark-based mixes for these. In my experience, gritty mixes don't please these tropicals. I don't put in too much potting mix, but do mix some in with the primary ingredient of bark. They do well. I've saved a couple really unhappy plants that way.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Gorgeous plants you guys & gals (& nice size too); now you've got me wondering if I ought to take a shot at growing these in a bark mix. I've certainly got enough bits of it w/ which to experiment. Hum.....

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I will also experiment with bark mixes. I can take a few cuttings off of mines as well

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Karen, what sold me on the bark mix was thinking about how these plants grow in the crotches of trees. The bark is so airy, the roots just run wild.

If you look at my second pic, the EC in the large pot in the middle was in a regular potting mix before I knew better. I actually came on GW the first time trying to find a way to save it. It had just the foundation leaves left last October. In november, I put it in a bark mix after I saw Josh's post on his CC repot. It has not only lived, but it's thrived. It loves being out on the deck in the shade. the summer too.

What could it hurt to experiment with some cuttings?

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Many thanks to everyone for your replies and generous feedback. I really appreciate all of the information and everyone's willingness and commitment to sharing their knowledge and experience, especially with beginners like me. Hopefully one day I'll be able to pass on some of my own as well after I learn much more!

Thank you for sharing the wonderful pictures of your plants as well. Up until this week, I had thought Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter were interchangeable, but thanks to your pictures, I can see the subtle differences between the jagged and rounded segments that truly make them unique plants.

Thank you all also for the suggestions for using a bark-based mix. I recall reading about bark in the Water Retention thread. I think I remember something along the lines of how the bark helps hold up the structure of a given mix and how it has certain enzymes (?) that decrease its decay rate compared to bagged mixes. Hmm, that'll bug me the rest of the day that I don't remember 100%; I'll have to go look it up again after I finish this reply now. Thankfully I think its in the intro, not the followups so it should be easy to find.

Incidentally Josh, you mentioned the pinch of potting mix holding everything together. My only experience with potting mix is the MG Cacti&Succulent which is predominantly sand and is very fine so I may be off here compared to the AV and others you mentioned, but wouldn't the potting mix fill the spaces between the larger bark and perlite particles? That would affect the aeration and the ability of the roots to exchange gases, right? Out of curiosity, do the adventitious, aerial roots that form between the segments help with gas exchange? (I think that is what orchids do at least if I remember from what my college room mate told me a few years back.) Anyway, that was more a question out of curiosity; I'm assuming that a pinch for binding like you said will have a minimal effect on the overall properties of the soil.

Laura, thanks for the comments about the natural environment--I knew they were tropical but did not realize they actually grew in the trees; that was fascinating to learn!

Thank you all again very very much!

Nathan

10 years ago

Hey!

Bark has suberin and lignin which slow the rate of decomposition :-)

The pinch of potting mix does affect drainage...that's why it's added. It helps even out the moisture levels in the mix, and buys you a few more days of moisture retention. Even with the potting mix added, the flow-through rate is excellent, and you can really drench the mix each time you water.

Josh

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beat me to it! I had looked it up but then it was time for supper and this is my first time back on.

Thank you for the explanation on the way potting mix affects drainage. Do you have any thoughts on how it may impact aeration? (I only ask out of curiosity and to get a better grasp on all of the concepts and factors at work in a soil system.) Obviously it doesn't cause too much of a problem given the prolific growth of the plants in your mix pictured above!

Nathan

10 years ago

The more fine material you add, the less aeration in the mix.
    But a small fraction of fine particulate will make a good compromise between
    aeration and moisture retention.

Josh

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Josh--all about balance and tradeoffs then! You mentioned your mix was a modification of the 5:1:1. Do you use a similar ratio of 5 bark:1-2 perlite with a pinch of potting mix or were you using equal parts of the bark and perlite?

We talked about the potting mix improving drainage and the bark providing structure and aeration. So that leaves the perlite--water retention since it is porous? Does the bark also help some with holding water.

I've often read perlite can substitute for granite. I was always unsure when I read this because you use something porous, perlite, for something non-porous, granite (at least relatively speaking). I've never seen the reverse: subbing granite for perlite. I have some granite on hand and was wondering if that would suffice with the bark-based mixes to save me a trip or if I would be eliminating the water retention component?

Many thanks once again for all of your feedback.

10 years ago

Howdy!

Yes, I use the basic 5 parts bark, 1 part perlite mix...but instead of potting mix I add in 1 part red lava rock (scoria). The scoria (like pumice) is durable and porous, so it does hold some moisture. I prefer a faster draining mix, and I like to eliminate the peat whenever possible.

The bark certainly does hold moisture. The Perlite is porous, but only holds moisture on its outer surface (the inner cells are closed off). Because of this, the Perlite displaces water - in other words, water can't occupy the space where the Perlite is located, and so the overall mix can't become as saturated.

Granite is not a substitute for Perlite. Granite, too, holds moisture only on its outer surface, but it holds very little - 14%, according to one test done by a forum member (Penfold).

You could add 1 part Granite to your bark - but it will be heavy. I really think that you and your plants will be happier with Perlite amending the bark.

Josh

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the clarification Josh! I think I am ready to go.

Many thanks to everyone who posted replies on this thread for sharing all of your knowledge and experiences to set me on the right track! It was great to learn about the lignification (not rot!) and using bark-based soils. Oh and of course, learning that I have Thanksgiving Cactus instead of Christmas Cactus!

Thanks to all once again,

Nathan

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello all,

I was taking a look back through my old posts and saw this and just wanted to share some newer pictures (February). My TC responded phenomenally to the bark mix and is looking great. Unfortunately, I misunderstood and used coarse orchid fir bark instead of fine, but when I repot next I will break what I have to smaller chunks. Live and learn! Josh, I think you mentioned 2 years to repot in this mix? If anyone reading this is curious, here is a link to Josh's repot post that Laura mentioned above ("CC Repot"). It is a great read and there's a ton of good information.

Anyway, here it is (and yes that is a ton of snow in the background--almost all melted now):

{{gwi:588160}}

This 'little' one consisted of one 2-segment cutting and one 3-segment y-shaped cutting when I originally started this thread. I can't believe how much it has grown in the last nine-ish months! This is still in peaty mix, I'm going to repot it this spring. It's the one on the right! :-)

{{gwi:588161}}

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have thoughts on why the larger plant is cascading more while the cuttings are growing more upright? Most of the pictures I've seen on the forum tend to be more upright before cascading.

Also, I'm thinking about turning the pot with the cuttings into a mixed container. Any suggestions for plants that may be compatible with TC or this soil mix? If they're ok with a slightly more water retentive mix, I'm thinking a cascading sedum (burro's tail) or senecio (string of pearls) along with a kalanchoe (paddle plant).

Looking forward to another year of growth!

Nathan

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Nathan - Congrats on the repot! Your plant looks great. I had a similar success after repotting to bark, perlite, AV soil mix.

On the mixed pot - I worry about a couple of the plants you mention. My K. luciae pupped heavily and got very big. My burro's tail needs a lot of sun. Both of these plants are in full sun in gritty mix outside. I do live in Florida and have the opportunity to leave mine outside all year.

This is a picture of my burro's tail. Last summer, during our heavy rains, I had to move it to my bright but shaded lanai. It was actually sitting next to my TC. You can see the part of the stems that became etiolated. They look rather naked. But after moving back to full sun the growth has tightened up again. (Wow - I really need to trim and start another pot!)

Again - we have different growing conditions. I know you are looking for compatible plants.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! I took a few minutes after posting and realized that the plants I suggested come from completely different climates in the wild. Not very well thought out I must admit; that should have probably been the first thing I looked at for compatibility. Hmmm...jungle succulents...or even non-succulents--now that could be interesting. Well, we'll just have to see where the search takes me!

The picture of your burro's tail is incredible. I love how it etiolated and then tightened up again. It always amazes me when our plants serve as a record of their conditions over time. Too cool!

• Andrea Osborne-Binger
    7 years ago

Please someone help me!! A dear friend gave me her mothers Christmas cactus which is now over 90 years old. It was going great until I transplanted it...that and I know I had over watered! Now my woody parts of the stem are mushy and oozy. Not all thank goodness but enough. I read that I was supposed to take it out so the roots could dry for 1 day. And then what do I do?! Any help would be so appreciated!!!

7 years ago

Trim out any dead, rotten, mushy material...and take a few of the cuttings as a back up plan.

Then re-pot in a fine-grade "Orchid Mix" that is mostly bark. You'll need to remove the old potting mix, then re-pot.

Josh

• Andrea Osborne-Binger
    7 years ago

Thanks! Hope it works. I have tried to grow the cuttings and I have had no luck. Any ideas to help me there?

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?