Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenwoodt

Cactus and Succulent ID

GreenwoodT
10 years ago

I have 2 cactus from Ikea, which have no labels, so I was wondering what their names were. As for the succulent, I've had it for a couple of years now, but I never knew what it was called. When I first bought it, the tag just said "succulent". All I know about it is that it is hard and very sharp when you touch the tips.

Cactus 1
{{gwi:588211}}{{gwi:588212}}

Cactus 2
{{gwi:588213}}{{gwi:588214}}

Succulent
{{gwi:588215}}{{gwi:588216}}

This post was edited by GreenwoodT on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 17:08

Comments (11)

• plantlover80
    10 years ago

Pictures aren't coming up

• GreenwoodT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry about that! I've fixed it. If the image is too small, just click on it for a larger image.

This post was edited by GreenwoodT on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 17:09

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Nice to see you over here as well as the Cactiguide forum! =)

As I said over there, 3rd is likely an Astroloba.

Without doing some further research, all I can say about the other 2 is I think the first is a type of Cereus (but could be any number of columnar cactus) & the other a Mammillaria (and there are thousands). Flowers might help ID it.

• GreenwoodT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice to see you too Rosemarie!

The shorter cactus, is definitely a Mammillaria. I'm thinking that it might be a Mammillaria bombycina, but like you said, the flowers will confirm it. However, I don't think I ever remember seeing the Astroloba flower.

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

No, bombycina has one hooked and one straight central. Other than that, I can't imagine RoRo doesn't know. The ceroid is common and very fast growing, but the name escapes me at the moment.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Not to worry about flowers on the Astroloba, Greenwood. In this case, that wouldn't help. I'm fairly certain it is in that genus. Personally, I like the color on it, but you might want to give it more water, if you want it to green up.

Dzitmoidonc is correct about your Mamm. not being a bombycina, since hooked spines are absent. You are too kind thinking I'd know this, D! WAY too many in the genus Mammillaria! I'm leaning more toward Mammillaria haageana ssp. elegans (they may have elevated it to species level...M. elegans, but I don't know). These guys are variable, as so many Mamms. That's what makes them so hard to ID. Flowers might help to narrow down the field.

I'm hoping D. or someone else will come to your rescue on the columnar. My brain is fried for the day!

Did anyone over at CG help you with the cactus IDs?

• lilce51286
    10 years ago

My sister gave me this plant today and she has no clue of what it's called either. She treats it like a succulent & said its in the cactus family. She told me to keep it in partial sun, weekly watering, and it's edges has small prickles that can hurt small kids or pets. I will post the pics any help on what this plant is & care will be appreciated!! Thank you all

• lilce51286
    10 years ago

Leaf edges you'll see saw like shapes but when I run it nothing happens until you run the edges in the opposite direction.

• lilce51286
    10 years ago

This is where ill be keeping it next to my ZZ plant, Thai is a night time pic, and during the day partial sun comes from the top door window. I'll be treating the plant like I do my ZZ: 1-2x a month watering (dry side), partial sun, and let it grow.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Lilce, you seem fairly new to the forum. Just so you know...it is customary to start your own thread for a plant ID, rather than piggyback on one, like you've done here. That way, all the responses for your plant will be sent to you.

I can't say whether or not your plant is a type of Yucca, but I am curious if it is a variegated plant or a sick one. I see you also have a duplicate post going on another thread.

• GreenwoodT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dzitmoidonc and Rosemarie. I'm fairly new to the world of cacti and succulents, so I really appreciate the feedback/help I'm getting on the forums.

Personally, I like the redish colour too, but perhaps giving it a little bit more water to green it up would help with the identification. I'll keep on researching the Mammillarias.

As for the other forum, I have had some feedback. For the columnar cactus someone suggested Stenocereus dumortieri and the mystery mamm, Mammillaria microhelia. I have yet to check these two out though.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!