Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ks_girl

My smelly blooms!

ks_girl
14 years ago

I have a few new flowers and I thought it would be a good time to varify their names, some of them I've seen with differant names.

#1 I've seen called Stapelia, Hirsuta and Asterias - 7 1/2" flower from tip to tip

#2 Stapelia ? - looks like the #1 flower but half the size - 3 1/2" flower

#3 Schneideriana Aspera or Pendula - stems are at least 18" long

#4 Huernia Guttata

Thanks for any help!

{{gwi:588566}}

{{gwi:588570}}

{{gwi:588575}}

{{gwi:588578}}

Comments (10)

• curious_plants
    14 years ago

1-2, stapelia grandiflora or similar.
    3-4, seem to be huernias.

Thanks, abel

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

All three are different species, and I am not keen on which is each. These are not my speciality. Crasulady 2

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

KS-girl

to see more Stapelias & their related plants than you'll know what to do with, pls. do a search for "Stapeliads - Orchids of the Succulent World".

This will take you to the site (sorry, I don't know how to provide links) of Dr. Gerry Barad, of Stapeliad fame. He's got LOADS of pix from which you should be able to match & then ID your plants.

• ks_girl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pirate girl, thanks, I checked out that site and they have some really cool looking flowers but I didn't see the ones I have.

I've looked on a lot of differant sites but keep finding differant names so I'm hopeing someone here will have the correct names for them.

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

Have you tried Desert-tropicals.com?

Sometimes those can be hard to distinguish, even folks who grow them more casually don't have their names.

A couple of yrs. ago I had a short, small Huernia, not 3" tall that had great yellow blooms speckled w/ brown, abt an inch tall. Had it a year or 2, nice, quick little bloomer, I never DID learn its name.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    14 years ago

KSG,

#1 Stapela gigantea

#2 - Stapelia sp.

#3 - A Heurnia

#4 - Also a Huernia (?)

You should know that probably most of the succulent stapeliads (they're from the Asclepidaceae or the milkweed family) have at least two, if not three genus names, so you could be calling something 'Orbea' and I could be calling it 'Quaqua' and we'd both be talking about the same plant.

I used to grow not enough of these when I lived in a place that could support them easily, and they're a fantastic group of plants.

Here's a plant (attached), courtesy of Cactus Jordi, that's a nice one.

Here's one of mine once - Diplocyatha ciliata, also known by at least one other genus name which I don't remember.

{{gwi:588579}}

So - get this - they've been grouped together the Aponycaceae (the oleanders, plumerias, adeniums and pachypodiums, for some). If you think about it, it makes sense - the flowers and seed pods are remarkable similar.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• wallydraigle
    14 years ago

Pirate_girl, your mystery huernia sounds like huernia kennedyana. I have a small one, but it hasn't bloomed yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Huernia

• joscience
    14 years ago

I'm pretty sure #2 is S. asterias.

{{gwi:588582}}
    Mine in bloom (and covered in maggots!) a while back.

• wallydraigle
    14 years ago

Has anyone ever had trouble with monarch larvae on these? I've never seen it myself, but I've read that being milkweeds, monarchs will lay their eggs on them.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    14 years ago

Wally,

No, I don't think so - there's no reason for butterflies to have anything to do with the Huernias, Hoodias, Larryleachias and whatnot.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!