Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

Agave Azul or Blue Agave:

hijole
11 years ago

Hello cactus family wanted to share a resent gift I was offered, which is the Agave Azul , Or Blue Agave. This is the spieces tequila is made of, ok Josh & Stush either of you know how to process this ? If not no worries and hey once it sends out margaritas I'm mean pups I just might send you guys one.

At first glance I thought it was just an ordinary Agave but it has very distinct lines as far as the way it sits, straight up!!! Looking like it owns the desert, well at least next to the sagauro, LOL...

Well I will be picking her up this Weds and I'll post a picture soon after.

Greg

Comments (18)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Greg,

The Agave most used in Tequila production is (drumroll) Agave tequiliana. I'm involved in quality control - it's the quantity control I sometimes have trouble with.

{{gwi:588767}}

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cactusmcharris, Thats it! The Tequiliana Blue Agave, or Agave Azul.
    That's the one they said it was so if you can please comfirm it once I take the picture that would be nice and plus make it official.

I saw it already and he had quite a few of them Large ones and small plants some were as high as 6 or 7 feet high, I know, Wowzers... but I really am not sure, I looked it up on line and when I saw it I thought, YIP!!! That's it

Quantity Control, Dont feel like the Lone Ranger my friend your not alone on that one.

By the way do you have one of them? (the Agave's) cause I saw your bottle lol...

greg

• chadec
    11 years ago

Can't wait to see photos. I seen a show on natgeo about tequila production. Seems once the agave is large enough you will have to butcher it. Better to just buy sum tequila.

• nil13
    11 years ago

You can also use the leaves to wrap meat for good old fashioned barbacoa.

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, ironically today while visiting my local H/D look what I see, that's right with advertising saying make your own .

The ones I'm getting are way, way bigger so I guess I'll have more quantity.

My plant coming tomorow.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok so let's talk about Happy Hour for a second, drinks are being served we just need someone who knows how to tap the fountain.

On another note aren't they some beauties I was given the cart Blanche take as many as your able I think I was a cheap way to clean up, I only took a few a couple about 2 1/2 feet high and a few pups which were just poking there face out of the momas skirt.

Cactusmcharris, so do they look like the real Mckoy ?

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another shot, No not a drink, another picture of my New tequiliana Agave.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One more shot I've decided to shut her down tonight.

Greg

• nil13
    11 years ago

That last pic is a beauty.

But yikes there's a lot of Ailanthus there.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Greg, my friend, I did have some and sold them. They are too big for me to bring in every year. I know the varigated ones grow big also but slowly. Sooner or later I will have to get rid of them also and keep some pups to start over again.
    I could never cut one up to make tequilla out of it. They use only the heart of the plant not the leaves and takes a lot of plants to make a small amount of tequilla.

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

nil13, Thanks, Hahha I had to look up Ailanthus, I had no idea what that was, But I do now I thought it was just some type of runner that was a weed and to find out it had some almost holy name "Heavens tree". Wow.

Cactusmcharris, I didnt see Hoss but little Joe said to tell you hello and to come on over for a drink and dont forget to bring MAYORAZGO when you do he'll provide the ICE.

Stush, Hey you know you can leave the lil guy in a pot and he'll stand that way for years and years but you already know that I know, So have you been getting some pretty hot weather lately?

Greg

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

That's odd - my comment from last night is missing / pulled. Anyway, that's not A. t. that you have pictured there, Greg - those plants are too big.

• paul_
    11 years ago

Some beautiful -- but vicious looking -- agavas there.

Btw, Jeff, I did email you through GW ... hopefully you got it.

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cactusmcharris, My bad , the original post belongs at "No Wonder All I Can See is Catus."

I accidently posted it on this post I guess I had to much to drink.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cactusmcharris, While being sent a you tube video on the making of Tequila I did see the Agave Azul and it was about the same size as the ones I have pictured here, so I'm just saying maybe it is Agave Tequiliana, Maybe.

In any case I'm not sure but boy O boy she sure is looking good!

Paul, Beautiful, Vicious. Almost sounds like your describing a Feline, Hahaha...

Greg

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

not sure if anyone noticed cactusmcharris' common above.. .those agaves in above photos are NOT Agave tequiliana... maybe Agave americana. Too beefy, too large a teeth and not lance-like leaves, typical of Agave tequiliana... below is a photo of Agave tequiliana (normal color) and then some varieties, plus leaf detail to show parallel leaf edges and dinky (but incredibly sharp!! spines).

Agave tequiliana normal green form
    {{gwi:588768}}

Agave tequilian 'Weber Blue' form
    {{gwi:588769}}

Agave tequliana 'Sunrise'
    {{gwi:588770}}

Agave tequiliana subtilis
    {{gwi:588771}}

close up of blue form
    {{gwi:588772}}

closer up
    {{gwi:588773}}

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, so are all the votes in yet? Ok, So that settles it then and No one gets drinks tonight or tomorow either or ever for that matter and I do regret this everyone.

Lzrddr, Very nice display of desert plants where is that at?

Greg

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Some in my yard, some in the Huntington Gardens