Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Agave Azul or Blue Agave:

Posted by hijole 9 Sunny California (aguilerag2@aol.com) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 17:19

Hello cactus family wanted to share a resent gift I was offered, which is the Agave Azul , Or Blue Agave. This is the spieces tequila is made of, ok Josh & Stush either of you know how to process this ? If not no worries and hey once it sends out margaritas I'm mean pups I just might send you guys one.

At first glance I thought it was just an ordinary Agave but it has very distinct lines as far as the way it sits, straight up!!! Looking like it owns the desert, well at least next to the sagauro, LOL...

Well I will be picking her up this Weds and I'll post a picture soon after.

Greg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Agave Azul or Blue Agave:

Greg,

The Agave most used in Tequila production is (drumroll) Agave tequiliana. I'm involved in quality control - it's the quantity control I sometimes have trouble with.

Photobucket

o
RE: Agave Azul or Blue Agave: That's it!!!

cactusmcharris, Thats it! The Tequiliana Blue Agave, or Agave Azul.
That's the one they said it was so if you can please comfirm it once I take the picture that would be nice and plus make it official.

I saw it already and he had quite a few of them Large ones and small plants some were as high as 6 or 7 feet high, I know, Wowzers... but I really am not sure, I looked it up on line and when I saw it I thought, YIP!!! That's it

Quantity Control, Dont feel like the Lone Ranger my friend your not alone on that one.

By the way do you have one of them? (the Agave's) cause I saw your bottle lol...

greg

o

Can't wait to see photos. I seen a show on natgeo about tequila production. Seems once the agave is large enough you will have to butcher it. Better to just buy sum tequila.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mount Washington (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 20:42

You can also use the leaves to wrap meat for good old fashioned barbacoa.

o

Ok, ironically today while visiting my local H/D look what I see, that's right with advertising saying make your own .

The ones I'm getting are way, way bigger so I guess I'll have more quantity.

My plant coming tomorow.

Greg

o

Ok so let's talk about Happy Hour for a second, drinks are being served we just need someone who knows how to tap the fountain.

On another note aren't they some beauties I was given the cart Blanche take as many as your able I think I was a cheap way to clean up, I only took a few a couple about 2 1/2 feet high and a few pups which were just poking there face out of the momas skirt.

Cactusmcharris, so do they look like the real Mckoy ?

o

Another shot, No not a drink, another picture of my New tequiliana Agave.

Greg

o

One more shot I've decided to shut her down tonight.

Greg

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mount Washington (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 22:31

That last pic is a beauty.

But yikes there's a lot of Ailanthus there.

o

Greg, my friend, I did have some and sold them. They are too big for me to bring in every year. I know the varigated ones grow big also but slowly. Sooner or later I will have to get rid of them also and keep some pups to start over again.
I could never cut one up to make tequilla out of it. They use only the heart of the plant not the leaves and takes a lot of plants to make a small amount of tequilla.

o
RE: Happy Hour Can be every Hour Now:

nil13, Thanks, Hahha I had to look up Ailanthus, I had no idea what that was, But I do now I thought it was just some type of runner that was a weed and to find out it had some almost holy name "Heavens tree". Wow.

Cactusmcharris, I didnt see Hoss but little Joe said to tell you hello and to come on over for a drink and dont forget to bring MAYORAZGO when you do he'll provide the ICE.

Stush, Hey you know you can leave the lil guy in a pot and he'll stand that way for years and years but you already know that I know, So have you been getting some pretty hot weather lately?

Greg

o

That's odd - my comment from last night is missing / pulled. Anyway, that's not A. t. that you have pictured there, Greg - those plants are too big.

o

Some beautiful -- but vicious looking -- agavas there.

Btw, Jeff, I did email you through GW ... hopefully you got it.

o

cactusmcharris, My bad , the original post belongs at "No Wonder All I Can See is Catus."

I accidently posted it on this post I guess I had to much to drink.

Greg

o
RE: This is Not A Debate But.:

Cactusmcharris, While being sent a you tube video on the making of Tequila I did see the Agave Azul and it was about the same size as the ones I have pictured here, so I'm just saying maybe it is Agave Tequiliana, Maybe.

In any case I'm not sure but boy O boy she sure is looking good!

Paul, Beautiful, Vicious. Almost sounds like your describing a Feline, Hahaha...

Greg

o

not sure if anyone noticed cactusmcharris' common above.. .those agaves in above photos are NOT Agave tequiliana... maybe Agave americana. Too beefy, too large a teeth and not lance-like leaves, typical of Agave tequiliana... below is a photo of Agave tequiliana (normal color) and then some varieties, plus leaf detail to show parallel leaf edges and dinky (but incredibly sharp!! spines).

Agave tequiliana normal green form
Photobucket

Agave tequilian 'Weber Blue' form
Photobucket

Agave tequliana 'Sunrise'
Photobucket

Agave tequiliana subtilis
Photobucket

close up of blue form
Photobucket

closer up
Photobucket

o

Ok, so are all the votes in yet? Ok, So that settles it then and No one gets drinks tonight or tomorow either or ever for that matter and I do regret this everyone.

Lzrddr, Very nice display of desert plants where is that at?

Greg

o

Some in my yard, some in the Huntington Gardens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here