Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

A Caudex plant you don't have..!

Eat your heart out Caudex,Jordan,guys,gals,etc-wink.

It's Agapetes serpens. A Rhododendron relative that I think also is a epiphyte. A big epi as mine was about 7' across before i hacked it back to fit a new spot. It can take some drought but likes plenty of water.I guess it could be planted in rock walls or even on a tree if it was place just right. Check on the net for its flowers..really unusual the way they are pendant in long rows the length of the branch. Just a natural here for the bay area as its native to Chile.

{{gwi:588990}}

{{gwi:588992}}

{{gwi:588995}}

Comments (10)

• caudex1
    15 years ago

I got 2, but nothing that size! My largest has maybe a 2in caudex. They would probably be bigger but I let it them go dry to often.

How long have you had yours? and how big originally?

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I bought it years ago at the Dry Garden nursery(he still has one for sale ).5 gallon?.I had no idea it was caudiciform.It was grown in ground for years..looked ratty(little watering) so i dug it up and found that huge tuber..so for the last three years or so it's been potted.This year was the first i pruned the top.It just got too wide for my small yard.
    Again,Caudex,planting out makes the caudex...

• mingtea
    15 years ago

awww...i had a cutting of one of these that just barely started to root and then died. have you tried propagating yours? do you have any flower pictures? yours is a fantastic plant.

ming

Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ming.No pics. I havent tried to propagate. They dont seem to be difficult to grow. Easy to grow plants usually are easy to propagate.
    Maybe the planting in ground and occasional drought blew up the caudex?

• dufflebag2002
    15 years ago

Prunning helps, and proper care. It looks like an old plant. Planting in open run puts on faster growth and and all cactus and succulents do better planted out. Norma

• rinomanfroni
    15 years ago

I just bought this plant on the internet! I got one for 10 dollars on hortusb.com, which is such a huge bargain for this plant. They sell it for 30 dollars or more at the nursery, and here in North Texas it's just impossible to find it.

I hear that it doesn't tolerate temperatures that are lower than 32F, and therefore it must be grown indoor during winter. The good part however is that it's an evergreen and it would look good indoor during winter!

I can't wait to receive it!

Original Author
    15 years ago

It's never done as well as it has this last year..the repotting and first ever good pruning has it looking good. Just a matter of a month or so for it to have pendulous blooms lining each branch. Funny you would post as it was just yesterday I looked it over for any blooms forming. Not yet...

• rinomanfroni
    15 years ago

I received it yesterday and it's really small! I have no idea of how big it will become this summer, but I hope it will be something people can notice when they walk outside of my porch...

I put it under grow light and I'll leave it there until probably the end of March.

{{gwi:588998}}

• butchpansy
    15 years ago

This one's easy in the S.F. Bay area, taking temps into the upper twenties with no problem. Part shade and moderate summer water, osmocote, good drainage, and a wide pot have made my eight year old thrive. It's beginning to open flowers along its arching, semi-pendulous branches right now. There's a nice one in the garden of one of my clients that trails six feet down a retaining wall on a north facing slope with good overhead sun exposure in the summertime. I rooted a summer cutting with no special treatment in 2001. Every time I repot it (not very often) I set it a bit higher and hose off the swollen roots. Like most Ericaceous plants, it seems to prefer it on the acid side, but I don't agonize over it.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmm.B.P.,mine isn't showing any flowering movement-yet.It had to be cut way back,so maybe that has slowed it a bit.
    Part shade is right. They planted a few atop columns in full sun at the SF Botanical garden and either it's the full sun or wind causing it to dry fast and leaveing the group looking stressed. Richard at the Dry Garden has a perfect container plant in almost full shade-can't even see the base through all the foliage in a 5 gallon tub.