Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timewalker

Is this a cactus? If so, what type?

Timewalker
10 years ago

I've always wanted a cactus, so I got this. The only thing is that I'm not sure what type of (if it actually is a) cactus it is. Does anyone know?
As for care, I'm keeping it on my windowsill to give it plenty of sunlight. The person I got it from said to water it once every other week, and that the soil it is in is fine. Is that right? Or should I be changing the soil? My final question is, should I be feeding it? Or would changing the soil (if I should) count as feeding it?
Like I said, I've always wanted one. I just don't know a lot about them.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:589384}}

Comments (24)

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

Pretty plant, but it is not a cactus and does not remotely resemble any cactus. It may be a type of Haworthia.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

It is a PAINTED Haworthia attenuata zebrina. Unfortunately,this has become an all too common practice because the BBS think it sells more plants. I guess in time the paint will wash off. All of the "zebra" stripes should be white.

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 20:08

• marquest
    10 years ago

I am going to use my best Shirley Temple impersonation and say....."Oh my Goodness". What will they do next? This is worst than gluing those straw flowers on cactus.

I have not seen the paint jobs here.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Painting a plant is SO not right! LOL

My jaw dropped when I saw BLUE phalaenopsis orchids for sale at the grocery store.

Found out that it had been airbrushed.

That's cheating! :P

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

The same is true of "Blue: orchid flowers. If you look closely on the flower spike, you will see small holes where the spike has been injected causing the flower to turn color. Unsuspecting people purchase them and expect the plant to have the same color when it flowers next go around only to be shocked with a white flower.

On another note, this could be Haworthia fasciata or H. attenuata v fasciata or how about just Zebra Haworthia!

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I recently SAW those blue Orchids in the grocery store & took a pic w/my cell phone. I like blue, BUT...not fake stuff!

Glufers (strawflowers glued on), googley eyes & painted sux! Not right! Link below to some recent opinions on the practices.

Howard, stick with what you 1st said: Timewalker's plant is Haworthia attenuata (fasciata is its own species, not a variety of attenuata) :) You can see the green & white parts that were not painted, or it is growing out.

Most times, whatever soil they're in when you buy them is not ideal. If you can change out the soil, find something that will drain well. Bright light on a windowsill might be enough (but that depends on where you live & how hot/bright it is there). Water when dry (but every other week sounds about right-if it was mine).

Here is a link that might be useful: prev thread on spray painted jobbers

• lilce51286
    10 years ago

My sister gave me this plant she's keeping it like a succulent, weekly watering, and partial sun. So I'm going to treat this like I do my ZZ plant which is 1-2x a month watering (dry side), partial sun, and supplemental light from the waterfall at night. The edges on the leaves have prickle like edges that can hurt young kids/animals but not for adults lol if anyone can tell me what plant This is & care very appreciated!!! Thank you

• lilce51286
    10 years ago

My sister gave me this plant she's keeping it like a succulent, weekly watering, and partial sun. So I'm going to treat this like I do my ZZ plant which is 1-2x a month watering (dry side), partial sun, and supplemental light from the waterfall at night. The edges on the leaves have prickle like edges that can hurt young kids/animals but not for adults lol if anyone can tell me what plant This is & care very appreciated!!! Thank you

Pups are also growing on the side of this parent plant and its hot (summer) here in Maryland so AC daytime 75 night 73.

{{!gwi}}

• lilce51286
    10 years ago

Unknown cactus succulent plant

• lilce51286
    10 years ago

Close up of leaves... Sorry for the double message my iPhone is copying things 2x's???

• lilce51286
    10 years ago

We're ill be keeping the plant and this is a night pic

• sradleye
    10 years ago

the houseplant forum used that prickly edge to id one of my plants as a yucca.

that pink plant was really cool before you find out its painted! lol

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Lilce, you seem fairly new to the forum. Just so you know...it is customary to start your own thread for a plant ID, rather than piggyback on one, like you've done here. That way, all the responses for your plant will be sent to you.

I can't say whether or not your plant is a type of Yucca, but I am curious if it is a variegated plant or a sick one. I see you also have a duplicate post going on another thread.

• lilce51286
    10 years ago

I see what your saying creating my own thread, No this is fine I like adding onto an original post, easier for me, but no This is how the plant grows varigated. The pups are the same

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Lilice, I see how YOU might like adding it to someone else's original post, but the original poster is receiving notices that someone is commenting on their question. They come here to find that someone is answering a question on YOUR plant. I think it's only common courtesy, when you have a question on a different type of plant, to start your own thread.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Thanks RoRo, but how do you make the distinction btw the two? They "look" almost the same?????

I was visiting John at the Stone Source last week and he gave me this plant labeled, H. fasciata 'Super Clone' which I think? is also called 'Super White'. So is it attenuata or fasciata????

• Timewalker
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info. I did slight research, and found out Haworthia's need little water as well. I also just picked up a real cactus. So if I water them both once a week is that good? Or should I do the method of putting a small stick in and waiting until it comes out totally dry?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Since we don't know your location and growing conditions, it is impossible to provide "ironclad" advice. If you live in a humid location, you may only water every week to 10 days. If your growing mix holds water, it may take 2 weeks for it to dry enough to water again. If there is lots of air circulation, things tend to dry faster and require more frequent watering. I think you get the picture.

• Timewalker
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do get the picture. And I hate to keep asking stupid questions, but I've never actually owned a plant before. Is there a growing mix you recommend? Or does that also depend on location?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Please NEVER think of your query as stupid. We all, most of us, have been in your shoes at one time or another and speaking for myself, I'm still there. We meet here to converse, learn and enjoy plants we don't have and may want some day. Cactus and succulent mix seem to be somewhat of an individual preference. Some people will purchase a "ready made" mix and add gritty material to it making it drain fast. Gritty items include, but are not limited to, things like perlite, pumice, turface or oil dry. Others have their very own concocted formulation.

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

lilce, does you plant grow on a spiral? it looks like a pandanus to me, but I've never seen a variegated albino like yours.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Howard, H. fasciata is easier to distinguish by its lack of tubercles on the upper leaf surface. I believe the one you have there is H. attenuata

Timewalker, my former WISE boss told me, "The only stupid question is the one not asked." (Okay, I could debate this point~thinking of all sorts of exceptions to this, but won't.)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Here I go again being mentally compromised! Rosemarie, by "upper leaf" you are making reference to the ventral or inside surface of the leaf, yes? So H. fasciata will be smooth on the inside as opposed to having zits....LOL To confirm, mine IS H. attenuate... it has zits!

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 12:06

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

Yes, Howard, confirming what you think is correct!