Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dacocoa

Crassula Marginalis Care?

Dacocoa Paradis
10 years ago

So I just identified this succulent a week or two ago with the help of fellow GardenWeb users, but can't find much about it's care on the internet. Recently it's began to show lightly shriveled leafs. (Not during time of this photo) Though there's not a lot that look shriveled, but enough to concern me. There are a few succulents such as crassula muscosa and this crassula marginalis that I can't seem to find a good watering routine for. Which caused one of my crassula muscosa to rot a few months ago. I guess i'm just also asking for some advice on good succulent soil mixtures and watering routines. I have all my succulents in a south facing window, that gets sun from about 9am - 12pm at this time of year.

Comments (10)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Can you pls. say when the last time you watered it? What type of mix it's in & what kind of pot (plastic or clay as I can't see it).

I too have this plant & MAY have been one who helped you ID it. I was advised by its grower/seller to let it dry out completely btwn waterings.

• Dacocoa Paradis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh yes, I'm sorry. I actually transplanted it into a clay pot a week ago. I watered it about 2 oz of the last bit of water from my spray bottle just after the transplant. The soil was completely dry when I transplanted it. I have the succulents in Miracle grows Cactus Soil and about an eighth of the total soil amount of perlite. I have all in clay pots to help the soil dry quicker.

• Dacocoa Paradis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I mean one part perlite to every 8 parts of the soil in the pot.

• Dacocoa Paradis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another picture just taken, more of the leaves have began to shrivel. Would it just be after shock from the transplant. I was thinking of clipping the longer branches off, trying to root them, and just letting the small starters that are at the top to grow out.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

How big pls. is the pot? I can't judge 2 oz of water in what size, relative to what?

I to 8 perlite is very little perlite, not helping drainage. Try 30-50% perlite, that'll be better.

I think your idea to clip some & let the rest grow out sounds fine. I'm new at this plant, but I think that's thirst, not shock. I'd stick a pencil down into the mix & see if it comes out moist or hold mix to it (still a tad moist).

If mine I'd water it.

• Pots_Alot
    10 years ago

When it wants to grow give it water . If not enough give it more...... Just one of the pleasures of a good draining soil.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

I have the same plant outdoors in a plastic pot. I am unsure how fast your mix dries out, but I keep mine consistently moist (it does dry out completely sometimes when I forget to check it). I'm not saying this would be best for you, that depends on your potting mix and amount of lighting, but I believe it enjoys more water, and yours wrinkling tells me it needs a good drink. As stated above, water it regularly during it's growing season.

Planto

• sradleye
    10 years ago

i'm new with the succulents and over time I have been upping the amount of perlite I mix in. now I am using 1:1 potting soil to perlite. at first it seemed like I was using a lot of perlite, but now that I am getting the hang of things a little bit I am annoyed at the stuff I have not repotted lately lol.

also I don't think any schedule is a good idea. pay attention to the soil and plant and with the clay pots sometimes you can tell by the color of that too. plus the plants just love the attention in general.

• Dacocoa Paradis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, sorry, I'm still new and don't know all helpful information to give when I need help :) The Pot is about 3 inches across and 4 inches tall. Thanks for all the advice guys! I really do appreciate it! It's good to have the help. I'm going to repot it with more perlite to the soil, and then water it. Maybe 2:4 ratio. It's in a clay pot and the feels quite dry, I'm just cautious about watering some succulents. I lost a Crass. Muscosa to over watering. But it could all have to do with my light perlite mixes used previously. I'll see how it works out, and I did cut some longer stems, and am rooting them in a separate pot.

• Pots_Alot
    10 years ago

Sift the perlite to remove the finer powder with mask and then rinse it for complete expansion. Then mix the moist perlit into your existing mix to complete your re-potting. Moist perlite may help it to fill back in or to say watering may be able to wait a few with climate limits mentioned as well.

Also as reminder be cautious when working with some thin hairy roots in soil