Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aloe Leaves Breaking

Posted by valeriev z9 Bay Area CA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 17:58

Hi there.

Does anyone else have a problem with their Aloe leaves breaking off due to sheer length and weight of the leaf?

I live on the 3rd floor so I know it's not a critter standing on the leaves or anything like that.

Just curious! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aloe Leaves Breaking

What type of aloe? Just a regular aloe vera? If so, i dont have any problems with it, on my maybe 5 years old plant.

o

Yeah, it's just a regular aloe. Here's a pix of it. I don't have a pix of the broken leaf. This pix was taken before the leaf broke.

Aloe

o

Looks kinda etiolated? Mine is very compact, with the leaves right on top of each other ... maybe the leaves are weak from the etiolation ... do you have an area with more sun? (If so introduce to more light gradually)

o

Looks kinda etiolated? Mine is very compact, with the leaves right on top of each other ... maybe the leaves are weak from the etiolation ... do you have an area with more sun? (If so introduce to more light gradually)

o

I don't have access to more sun, but she is neglected plant (hence the random broken leaves) that I got from a girlfriend who moved across the country, so I inherited it. It was in a 6" pot when I got it. She's gotten HUGE since I took over.

She's produced a couple babies since too. :) (the plant, not my friend) ;)

o

Oh sure!

That soil is not helping the the plant's health, Valerie - cut it with at least 50% perlite or pumice (the latter is better, the former will work). I don't think it looks particularly etiolated (many Aloes do fine in bright indirect light)) but if you're giving it all the sun you can, that's all you can do. The plant will be fine, but getting it in more porous soil will have it happier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here