Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Rooting a Sans. (Ballyi?)

Posted by pirate_girl Zone7 NYC (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 18:12

Hi folks,

If you haven't seen any of my Hydro experiments at Sans. Forum, here's a quick peek of the first water roots this leaf has sprouted. I set it aside to do this as this leaf was damaged &/or breaking off the mother plant.

Photobucket

A bit hard to see, here's another view, maybe better:

Photobucket

Am posting these here just to show the root development. I check on these every one in a while & I have a funny feeling the next time I check, there will be a tiny pup appearing, sort of peeking out from behind the leaf, you'll see.

I can't await!! These crazy experiments really get me excited & would up. It's dorky, I know, but cool all the same!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Rooting a Sans. (Ballyi?)

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mount Washington (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 19:25

out of curiosity, why are you water rooting them instead of in substrate?

o

Hi Nil,

Curiosity maybe, once I'd heard it COULD be done. Then when I tried it & it worked, I was fascinated; also it's cleaner, no mix to fuss w/ & I'm just enjoying it. (You may be new &/or unfamiliar w/ my prior experiments on this, I do grow plenty of Sans. in mix as well.)

Here are some different examples of Sans which have never been in mix, either just a bit of water, or water & Leca stones.

Photobucket

This Sans. has its first new division & is growing straight up instead of from the side

Photobucket

The view from above

Photobucket

Those above are all one & the same plant, shot several months apart.

This, is Sans. Masoniana also grown hydro in Leca stones

Photobucket

The one furthest back is another no ID hydro grown Sans. Just having fun I guess.

o

I've never seen a Sans make a "stem pup" like that before. How cool!

At the top pic, it looks like your newest attempt is in several inches of water?

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mount Washington (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 15:16

Neat. They are tough little buggers aren't they?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here