Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TC Leaf mutation and succ container

Posted by JessieC777 Washington State 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 18:17

I noticed one of the leaves on my TC is mutated. Just thought I'd share pics. I'm interested to see what it does when it's bigger.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Also, I made my first little container garden :-)

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TC Leaf mutation and succ container

JessieC,
My TC is kind of doing the same thing. What I thought was three new leaves forming turned out to be one weird shaped leaf. If only I could get a close up of it I'd share. Stupid camera.

Planto

o

Jessie,
I was mistaken, apparently the last picture I took of my TC has a somewhat good view of it's odd shaped leaf. I cropped it a little bit for a closeup, sorry if it's a little blurry (again, I don't have a good camera). I wonder what makes their leaves form in such an odd manner?

TC

Planto

o

One of my TC grew a leaf like this last summer. I think it's just an odd thing that happens - I've seen similar abnormalities in the foliage of other plants. Every now and then, for example, I get a siamese leaf on my African Violets.

-Tim

o

Hi Karen and all. They will root easily in water, but I have a hard time getting them to make the transition to soil. Likely it is my technique, it might break off the new roots.

One succulent I really have a hard time with is Pelargonium (the succulent ones). They will root almost instantly in water, but I have yet to succeed with a single cutting from 5 species. I give up, luckily they grow only too well from seed, and many are self fertile.

The odd leaf is not really odd. Most of the epiphytic cacti I have have produced odd growth, but it almost always is with new plants (plants that have recently rooted). With Schlumbergera and the small segmented species (as opposed to the Central American species), I don't remember too many with new stems growing from triangular segments, that is, the triangular segment seems to be the end of the line for that particular stem.

The Disocactus (a large stemmed Cen. American), also are flat stems, and they also make triangular growth, and this growth is also on newly established, rapidly growing plants. Their triangular segments make new flat stems though.

My theory is that a new plant with good conditions makes this triangle stem in exuberance. Kind of like when you are laughing and get carried away with the moment. Just a theory, because I never hear them laugh.

o

Tim,
A siamese african violet leaf... now that would be an interesting sight.

Dzitmoidonc,
A TC is the only form of epiphytic cacti that I've owned so far, so the observance and findings of yours is interesting, thanks for sharing.

Planto

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here