Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nil13

Aloe IDs

nil13
11 years ago

So, I used to make permanent brass tags and keep them with all the plants in my collection, even with the PIGs. Then my SO caught the succulent bug after a trip to the Huntington Spring plant sale. She has since taken over the care duties for the collection and added quite a bit herself. However, she deemed the brass tags ugly. She then decided to appease me by not discarding the tags altogether but by hiding them in the sides of pots and underneath them. I was certain that those derelict tags would go missing. Well, guess what happened?

I have more than just aloes that need IDs, but I figured that it would be easier to break up some of these posts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aloe A Winter

{{gwi:589709}}
Aloe A summer

{{gwi:589710}}
Aloe A flower detail

{{gwi:589711}}
Aloe B

{{gwi:589712}}

Thanks again

Shawn

Comments (20)

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Whose collection is it? It may be worth reminding her that often times functional trumps pretty. I would NOT have appreciated that being done to me.

Norma had a great suggestion, use TWO ID tags, one at bottom of pot & one at top, then when one re-pots after the tag is lost, the other tag in bottom of pot shows up.

Sorry I can't help w/ the IDS, I'm sure others will.

• nil13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's now mostly her collection as she has caught the bug pretty hard and has more than me. Sometimes lessons have to be learned the hard way, like not relying on tags and having everything written down so at least I would have had a list that I could have referenced. She is being good though about documenting everything as it comes in with a photo and putting it up on the website. I am tracking down the IDs now to fill in the gaps on the web gallery.

I am a landscape architect so once we bought our place, I gave up those responsibilities in order to take on the larger earth moving and propagation responsibilities. I currently have about 150 1 gal containers with ornamental grasses started from seed down in the garden right now. So, I've been a little busy. LOL.

• nil13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A brass tag at the bottom of the pot sounds like a great idea though.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I use my Flicker account as a way of keeping track of what is what since tags get lost, broken, faded, etc.

I think the second one might be an Aloe 'Dapple Green"

below is a sight that might help in IDing. Good luck in your search.

Here is a link that might be useful: Institute of Aloe studies

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Could that be the orange-flowering version of Aloe sinkatana in the first set?

• nil13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will add the second one is definitely a hybrid.

Sinkatana definitely sounds familiar and the little conical shield some pics online are showing is throw up for flowing is the same.

• nil13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will add the second one is definitely a hybrid.

Sinkatana definitely sounds familiar and the little conical shield some pics online are showing it throw up for flowing is the same. Thanks.

• nil13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That was a weird double post. It didn't seem to have posted ,just previewed and therefore open for editing. Strange.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

There's been a lot of that double posting around here & it's not your doing Nil, of that I'm sure.

• nil13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The fact that there is an edit means that it is not a simple technical glitch but an interface glitch that is confusing.

• nil13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The fact that there is an edit means that it is not a simple technical glitch but an interface glitch that is confusing.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

The second one could also be Aloe Doran Black (a hybrid also).The picture is not that clear, so I am just guessing around.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I sa what was said to be a sinkatana at the store today and it was more glaucus . I restrained myself and wanted to do more research on the cold hardiness of it. It looked nice mwhat ever it was but it was not what you have. HMM. No worries. This place gets nice plants but LOTS of mislabeled stuff.

• nil13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

First one is definitely Aloe sinkatana.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Old Boy hasn't lost his touch completely - ah, confirmation and a second cup of tea, won't this be a lovely day.

• nil13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah sinkatana is definitely correct as I just realized the label had shown up on Aloe 'Lizard Lips'. I was going through the gallery and noticed we had too very different sinkatanas, lol.

• nil13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm starting to think the last two are neglected pups from the Lizard Lips.

• rosemariero6
    11 years ago

I believe the last is 'Lizard Lips'.

• nil13
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sounds good to me. Thanks everyone.