Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Succulent ID, Anyone?

Posted by kwie2011 8 gloomy western OR (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 18:32

These are all in a local shop and marked only as "succulent" (duh). I'm tempted to buy a few, but would like positive ID so I don't bring them home just to die of western Oregon's winter gloom.

#1 #2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2px4cyk79pvync9/unknown R Echeveria runyonii.jpg

My guess is that the one on the right is Echeveria runyonii (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm clueless about the one on the left, maybe something Crassulacea? Haworthia sp? Aeonium? Got me.

Even more clueless about these - won't even hesitate a guess. I love the hirsute leaves on the jade-y type one - just like velvet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wlb3zn2qzx51ncg/IMAG0098a.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hr1j7047q8839wp/IMAG0101a.jpg

I have some others I'll post in a second thread. Thanks for any info, even if you just get me to the right genus, it's something.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Succulent ID, Anyone?

The first link doesn't work so I can't see..
#3 I've seen before just can't remember at the moment
#4 is a Echeveria Doris Taylor (Woolly Rose)

o

• Posted by kwie2011 8 gloomy western OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 19:40

Let's see if this link works better for #1-2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2px4cyk79pvync9/unknown R Echeveria runyonii.jpg

Thanks very much for the "Wooly Rose" Echeveria!

o

Nope... it says "Error (404)
We can't find the page you're looking for. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home."

Try imgur, that's the best image host IMO.

o

• Posted by kwie2011 8 gloomy western OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 21:53

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g66yley7eaohb7b/UnknownAndEcheveriaRunyonii.jpg

That one should work. The other was problematic because I used spaces and commas in the file name.

o

Yup the one on right is runyonii "topsy turvy", it will give you nice flowers if grown right.
The one one left I think I IDed it in your other thread.

o

1st: Left, xGraptoveria 'Debbi', I believe.
2nd: Right, Echeveria 'Topsy Turvy'.

3rd: Echeveria pulvinata, or if blooms are about 1.25" long, then E. harmsii (largest flower in Echeveria genus).

4th: If it is, it's the least fuzzy Echeveria 'Doris Taylor' I've ever seen. (fuzzy pic doesn't help)

o

Do you think #3 might be Echeveria pulvinata? It doesn't look compact enough, or rosette-like enough to me, but maybe that's due to growing conditions.

I think I'm also seeing E. runyonii referred to as "blue turvy." Cultivars can be so @#$% confusing! Doesn't matter. They'll need the same conditions, and likely have the same flowers. Pretty cool. Hope I can get it to flower. So much research yet to do! Winter vs. simmer growth, flowering conditions, full size, age, bla, bla, bla. I used to think all succulents grew pretty much the same! Hahahaha. Amazing I've done as well as I have up to now.

Hope you'll let me know what you think of my E. pulvinata hypothesis.

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!

Kwie

o

Topsy Turvy is a variation on E. Runyonii and just means that the leaves take on the curly inverted shape. E. Runyonii on its own has normal shaped leaves.

o

Hi Rose. I must've still typing when your post came in. Thanks so much with those IDs. I'm tickled to death I got E. pulvinata right. A sleepless night last night allowed me much time to page through photos (must be s key to succulent plants somewhere on the internet....which would be a much faster and more reliable way to ID than my paging through photos of total guesses).

Anyway, thanks very much to both of you! You've been very helpful, and patient with the @#$% links! :-)

o

Glad to help! Yes, an 'S' key for Succulents on the laptop-quick link to them on the Net would be Splendid!

There were hardly ANY sites online for plants, let alone succulents when I started MY quest for IDs...way back when!!! We used online nurseries -which we found had misidentified many plants (still do). Even the forum were just a few (later adding & specializing)...like Name That Plant here on GW. You had to figure your own way of uploading pix...mine were scanned, then put on an online (photo-hosting) site, then uploaded to forum. I learned how to use html code!! We also used books-IF you could find them, they didn't cost an arm & a leg AND included any succulents--with correct IDs!! Times have changed. WAY easier now!

I digress. Just wanted to say, "Been there, done that", till my eyes were blurry. Then, I was more confused than when I started! So, here we are!

Just an FYI to anyone interested, spelling of plant names ~ Genus is capitalized, species is lower case, both should be italicized (which not too many bother to do- here, it isn't necessary, if you know which is which. =) Cultivars or named varieties use single quotes, common names are just capitalized, nicknames in double quotes (or not).

Echeveria 'Topsy Turvy' or Echeveria runyonii 'Topsy Turvy', is a spontaneous mutation of Echeveria runyonii. (Blue Turvy is most likely someone's lazy naming of 'TT', unless it it one distinctly different.)

If/when your Echeveria pulvinata/harmsii blooms, I'd like to see a pic, please. =)

o

Rose - I know just what you mean about how the net has grown. I've been online since about '91 or '92, and it was a very different world. Seemed big then, but no comparison to the Internet of today.

I didn't realize you could format text on this site. And I'd overlooked the boxes for URLs until now (which is crazy because they're RIGHT THERE).

How do you format text?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here