Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
la_sunshine

Is this Starburst Aeonium a goner? Over-Watered?

LA_Sunshine
10 years ago

I believe it's been over-watered. It's been sitting in a potting mix (in an 8" container) that seems to drain well, but doesn't dry for weeks. It lives in a sunny window that's open most of the time.

It's been dropping outer leaves like crazy, and the stem is somewhat soft to the touch. The dropped leaves are filled with liquid.

How do the roots look? Should I try to repot? If yes, what is a good commercial mix I can get for this guy (maybe MG potting soil/perlite)? I need something I can get from Home Depot, Lowe's, or a similar store. I don't mind mixing a few things together, but if it's something a big store doesn't carry, I'm afraid I won't be able to use it.

Al's Gritty Mix sounds great, but, again, since big garden centers don't carry it, unfortunately, I won't be able to get it.

Thank you very much!

Comments (6)

• LA_Sunshine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And another picture...

• LA_Sunshine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more...

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

The soil may have stayed too wet, too long, like you surmised. I would not recommend growing this one in the house. Even in a sunny window it will probably not grow as well as outside in a semi-shady spot. If staying indoors, water less...even after you've changed the soil.

As Pot_Alot suggested, you can get what you need from the BBS. At the Home Depot down this way (southern Cal), they carry Palm & Catcus Mix (Supersoil), which you can mix w/Perlite. That ought to do the trick. I don't believe you should ever use sand. I add dry stall, but I can get that at the feed store we use for our horses. Not sure you could find pumice, but also a good ingredient.

Oh, your plant is actually 'Sunburst'. There is another called 'Starburst' (lighter stripe or markings down center of leaves). Easy to get names mixed up. Aeonium are going into summer dormancy now. It is normal for the drying up & leaf drop. I'm grabbing handfuls every day now from my many varieties. The ones you say were filled with water does not sound good (over-watering may be culprit). Right now you just want it to survive till Autumn when its growth spurt will start again.

Good luck! =)

{{gwi:589967}}

This post was edited by rosemariero on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 20:49

• LA_Sunshine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both for your help!

I'll air it out for a few days, and then repot in a better draining mix. I have perlite (I'll just have to sift through it), and I think I remember seeing bags of Palm & Cactus mix at a local store. I see if I can find playground sand to add to the mix.

I hope it makes it, it's such a pretty plant! I'd love to put it outside, but for now I live in an apartment, so it'll have to wait a couple of years.

And yes, rosemariero, I checked the label on the pot, and the name is, in fact, "Sunburst!" :)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

LA

Just to remind you - rosemarie suggested not to use play sand...