Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Aloe ID

Posted by laura1 9aTpa,FL (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 18:41

this is in a gallon sized pot...so about 8" tall MOL.
TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Aloe ID

Not sure of the species but is that a pachypodium lamereii in the background?

o

I have one about the same size as yours. It was labeled as aloe hybrid "blue elf." Since I got it from Lowes, take the name with a grain of salt. It had orange tubular flowers a couple of months ago.

o

Yes, Joe, it is a pachypodium lamereii. You have a good eye. That is a my baby. I have a larger one I just repotted and it looks great! But I don't want it getting too big.

Crenda it could be blue elf. It is so hard to ID from Bing!

o

I believe it is too large to be 'Blue Elf'. More likely the true Aloe vera. I'd like to see a closer pic of the teeth (& leaves) if you're able.

o

here is a close up. also the plant is almost 12" tall. thanks for any help. Laura

o

Thanks for the additional pic. =)

The teeth on yours are too long to be Aloe vera/barbadensis, I think.

That said, I have never seen a 'Blue Elf' that large, but the longer teeth do seem to be a match. There is another, larger, blue type Aloe (but it has some spots on the leaves), called Aloe 'California'. There is some confusion,/disagreement/difference of opinion about these two. See a previous post (link below) with pix by me & Geoff & compare to yours.

Revisiting that post, I see that the plants in Geoff's 'Blue Elf' pix might be as large as yours, but the leaves should be thinner! =D Not getting anywhere, fast!

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Blue Elf' vs. 'California'

o

well not all of the pictures came through but some did. What is different about my aloe is that the leaf tips curve out at the ends. It is kind of hard to see in the pix. All the ones in the link the leaves have more of an inward curve.

o

I picked up both of these at Lowes. The one in the back is 12 inches tall and labeled as Aloe 'blue elf.' The smaller one is labeled as Aloe 'California.' Both labels say they are grown by Altman Plants in Vista, CA.

I'm not sure this picture resolves anything with trying to ID Laura's Aloe, but I thought I show these 2 for comparison - or more confusion!

o

I believe lauras is blue elf. Then again, Im having my own aloe Id problems on the houseplant forum. Can anyone go and check if they know what the aloe is

o

I'm back to thinking mine is blue elf...at least until a better name comes along! hehe!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here