Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redheadedstepchild75

Can you help me with my Rhipsalis?

I saved these little guys from the HD today. All of them have a tag reading Rhipsalis Clavata ( Jungle Waterfall)....but, They don't look like any of the pictures on the web i've found of them.

Do you think these were mislabeled? Or, am I just not finding the right pictures for this plant?

Thanks for looking!

{{gwi:590042}}

Comments (12)

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Try this one and see if it looks like yours. I don't have any of these plants, but when I searched this plant, this one looks similar to yours that I found on Yahoo...it says it is normally green, but changes to pink/red with intense light. Maybe someone that knows more about this plant will post...Good luck, its a pretty plant and I'm sure with some TLC your plant will do very well!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhipsalis Elliptica (from yahoo pics)

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for helping me out! I appreciate it!!!

• paulzie32
    15 years ago

Looks more like Epiphyllium oxypetalum to me. If it grows any long thing "stick-like" stems, then you can assume it's E. oxypetalum. R. elliptica doesn't seem to sprout new growth from the sides of leaves like E. oxypetalum... but more from the ends of the leaves/joints, like other Rhipsalis.
    If you look at the growth of this plant, it sprouts new growth from just about anywhere.
    The real test will be the flower. If they're large beautiful flowers, it's Epiphyllium. If it's small flowers, it's Rhipsalis.
    But I'd go with E. oxypetalum.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:590040}}

• gardenbear1
    15 years ago

its not a Rhipsalis more like a epie of some kind I'm not even sure that it is an oxy you will have to let it grow and see if it grow canes like paulzie said. if no canes then its a epie

Bear

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

well redhead...if your grows canes before mine....or vice versa...lol...cause mine looks just like yours ;)

• hayu
    15 years ago

I rescued one of those too from Lowes. They were fixing to toss it. Put it in some cactus soil and it took off like a weed. It was labeled wrong also.

• angolita
    15 years ago

Although,Im not an expert I think this Rhipsalis is labeled correctly. From a wesite called CactiGuide.com I found Rhipsalis clavata labeled as a plant from Brazil with white flowers and cylindrical-pendant leaves meaning the leaves are oval shaped and grow pendant like (meaning all together they grow long-like)Hope this helps!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: CactiGuide.com

• mingtea
    15 years ago

that is certainly a rhipsalis. something along the lines of R. clavata or R. pachyptera would be my guess.

-ming

• paulzie32
    15 years ago

Time will tell ;-)

Big flowers & canes = Epi
    Small flowers and No canes = Rhipsalis

• ima_digger
    15 years ago

Here is my rhipsalis pachyptera. Could this be your plant?

{{gwi:590043}}

• Mentha
    15 years ago

Rhipsalis oblonga

Here is a link that might be useful: oblonga

• dufflebag2002
    15 years ago

I'm just going to be honest, I cannot ID what a plant is just from a leaf.
    Worse yet from just a picture. Norma

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm