Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david90531

Anacampseros having trouble blooming?

DavidL.ca
9 years ago

My Anacampseros shot out some flowering stems weeks ago, and finally "tried" to open up few days ago. The reason I say "tried" is because the flowers only opened up half way and didn't fully bloom, there were three of them, and all of them did the same. And since they semi-bloomed, they've been closed since. I have a few pictures.

Any ideas why this is? And how long are these flowers supposed to last anyway?

{{gwi:590068}}
{{gwi:590069}}
This is the most it got
{{gwi:590071}}
Already started to close up another half hour after, the bud on the left already did the same the day before
{{gwi:590072}}

Comments (10)

• hijole
    9 years ago

Not sure myself but mine have done the same thing, all your plants are looking very healthy so can't really tell where the problem lies.
    I'll keep my eyes on this post for some tips tho.

Greg

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I see, good to hear that I'm not the only one. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that it's quite freshly repotted (just a bit over a month). Or maybe it needs more sun?

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also if it's not opening up anymore, does that mean I should cut off the stems? If yes where do I cut it?

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

They like to bloom in the early evening. It looks like yours are indoors, so not sure if diff than if outside. Perhaps if you hung around longer, you would've seen it open wider. I miss mine all the time! Just yesterday, while watering, I saw one up on the shelf starting...but I got sidetracked...and forgot to go back to see! Drat! Once in a blue moon, they open during daylight (overcast, maybe?).

Mine make seeds -I would not cut off the stems, unless you don't care for seeds. Up to you. You could just let them dry there & then pull them off. More sun is always good!

From awhile back. Click for larger view:

{{gwi:590073}} {{gwi:590074}}

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I see, yes mine started to boom late afternoon and the first one I only missed 30 minutes or so of it, not sure if it actually fully bloomed during that time. But the other two buds I was literally watching it the whole day, and the farthest it got was as shown in the pictures...

So the flower stalk will dry up later on and then I just pull it off? How do they make the seeds and how do I get to that? Again I'm relatively new to the world of succulents, would love to know how to get some seeds!

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Shame you missed it! Yes, the flower stalk will dry up & you can pull off. Do don't have to wait for the whole stalk to dry, though. If you're watching it, the pod dries 1st. You can pull off the pod with seeds in it (taking care to catch them-or hold pod together w/fingers-till you can put seeds somewhere safe). Then, you can remove stalk if you like. Seeds are white & larger than salt crystals, but not a whole lot larger.

Pix are coming. I just went out & took a variety of pix to show as examples. Need to process them. Back in a few. You're ahead of me in time (I see), so don't know if you're still around the forum. Any which way...pix will be here when you get back! :)

In the meanwhile, in the 2nd of above pix, the straw-colored stringy things are what once were stalks...with the dried pod at the ends. Also shows dried pods at end of stalks that haven't dried yet.

I usually just distribute seeds back into pot (no other plans for them!). You'll see pic of pods I just laid in pot. I have them growing in several spots. Many of my plants are in a rather sad state of affairs (so close your eyes-ha ha).

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Saying it 1st...as I often forget to say...ALL your plants look GREAT!

As promised...here are my examples:
    click for larger views

{{gwi:590075}} {{gwi:590077}} {{gwi:590079}}

{{gwi:590081}} {{gwi:590084}} {{gwi:590086}}

{{gwi:590088}} {{gwi:590090}} {{gwi:590093}}

{{gwi:590094}} {{gwi:590095}} {{gwi:590096}}

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, thanks rosemarie for the detailed info, and messages. So the flowerbud when it dries up it becomes the pods, is that correct??
    Very cool, can't wait to see some seeds :D

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

You're welcome! ...and Yes!

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Will post updates when/if I obtained some seeds!