Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alkh86

Up a tree! I'd please

alkh86
10 years ago

I've been eyeballing my neighbor's tree for some time now. Anyone know what this is?

Comments (11)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

My guess would be Hylocereus undatus.

• lcadena
    10 years ago

Is this a type of rhipsalis? It is so gorgeous!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

It's a type of epiphytic cactus, like Rhipsalis is, but it's its own genus.

From Wikipedia - I too had no idea there were so many species.

Hylocereus calcaratus - Costa Rica. Stems soft, green with distinctly lobed stems. Flowers 35�"37 cm long, 20�"30 cm wide.
    Hylocereus costaricensis - (incl Hylocereus polyrhizus of gardens) Costa Rica and Nicaragua to Peru. Stems waxy-white without horny margins. Flowers ca. 30 cm long with large bracts, usually with purple margins. Fruit red with purple pulpa.
    Hylocereus escuintlensis Guatemala. Stems green not glaucous, brown-margined. Flowers 28�"31 cm long, 24�"36 cm wide.
    Hylocereus megalanthus - Stems green, slender without horny margins. Flowers 30�"38 cm long with large flattened tubercles and small bracts. Flowers similar to Selenicereus. Fruit yellow.
    Hylocereus minutiflorus - Guatemala, Honduras. Stems green. Flowers with rigid spines at base of flower, 5 cm long, 8�"9 cm wide, white.
    Hylocereus monacanthus - (incl. Hylocereus lemairei) Costa Rica to N South America. Stems gray-green without horny margins. Flowers ca 30 cm long, petals white, tinged pinkish near base or entirely pink. Tube with distant bracts. Stigma lobes usually forked. Fruit red with purple pulpa.
    Hylocereus ocamponis - (incl. Hylocereus guatemalense, Hylocereus purpursii) Mexico & Guatemala. Stems white-waxy, margins horny, spines needle-like, to 12 mm long. Flowers 25�"32 cm long with white inner petals. Bracts overlapping, with purple margins.
    Hylocereus setaceus - Stems green without horny margins, rather spiny. Flowers 19�"22 cm with small tubercles and bracts. Flowers similar to Selenicereus. Fruit red.
    Hylocereus stenopterus- Costa Rica. Stems thin, soft, green. Flowers 9�"10 cm long, 13�"15 cm wide, tube short, tepals purplish red.
    Hylocereus triangularis (incl. Hylocereus cubensis). Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Jamaica. Stems green without horny margins, slender. Flowers ca. 20 cm long, base with wide overlapping scales.
    Hylocereus trigonus - (incl. Hylocereus napoleonis, Hylocereus antiguensis). West Indies (Puerto Rico south to Grenada). Stems green without horny margins. Flowers ca. 22 cm long, 21 cm wide, base with small, narrow, widely spaced scales, sometimes spiny. Fruit red.
    Hylocereus undatus Native habitat unknown and maybe of hybrid origin. Stems green, margins undulate and horny. Flowers 25�"30 cm long, white with green outer tepals and bracts. Fruit red with white pulpa.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 23:57

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

I say Hylocereus undatus also. It's pretty common.

Mark

• teisa
    10 years ago

The description and picture makes me think of dragon fruit. Is it close to dragon fruit plant?

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Hylocereus undatus is indeed dragonfruit.

Christopher

• alkh86
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yay! I'm pretty excited! I'm going to talk to the owner and see about snagging some cuttings to go with the other dragon fruit cuttings I recently acquired! Methinks more dragon fruit beer is on the way! Wish I could share samples of the dragon fruit beer I've already made with you all! Should be ready for tasting this week!
    Thanks everyone! :)

• teisa
    10 years ago

Holy moly! You have found a mother load of dragon fruit!!!!!

Lucky you!! There is as much there as I saw growing in a commercial business!!

I can only dream of having 1/10 of that much one day :)

• alkh86
    Original Author
    10 years ago

teisa- now that I'm paying attention, I've actually been seeing them all around town in trees and on fences in people's yards on light poles in parking lots. It's pretty cool to see. I just wish I had a better flashlight to see their beautiful blooms at night.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

How about fruit - did you see any anywhere?

• alkh86
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We saw one so far. It just finished blooming. I have no idea how long til we might see fruit.