Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identification of succulent

Posted by saunders9017 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 19:32

I bought this aloe looking succulent at Walmart about 9 months ago although it is doing ok, so I think.. I would like to identify it so I know I am taking proper care. I have looked all over the internet and not bean successful:( although I am hoping someone here will recognize it at reply. Please comment!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identification of succulent

A. aaegeodonta? some form of Aloe. good thing is most aloe are generalized with the same care. I dont have any because of my cats. I read they get sick off them if the do eat it. Maybe Ming can chime in. Ive noticed ming is usually dead on.

o

The pressure's too much! I'm not awesome at aloes and the only thing I've seen that's big and toothy like that at box stores is maybe A. arborescens.
I might not bet a million on it so I'm gonna have to phone a friend... Jeff or Rosemarie are better at it!

-Ming

o

Hard to say, but seems somewhat like Lomatophyllum prostratum, (sometimes included in Aloe), although I doubt WalMart would be carrying this. So, I'll say it's a type of Aloe (like Ming said, possibly A. arborescens). If/when it flowers, please come back with a pic...which would help tremendously in its ID.

It looks like it may want a drink! =)

o

Thank you all so much!:)) I think it is probably a Lomatophyllum prostratum although I would not rule out arborescens... And yes it did need a drink lol

o

And I forgot to mention this plant does not appear to have high light requirements, when I first got it I placed it in a shaded south window when I checked on it a few days later it was almost completely brown. Now it is a distance away from a window under uv light and it seems to have regained all but a little of its color. I also sent a nether pic if it helps...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here