Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with succulent cuttings

Posted by LilBit7765 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 19:33

I know I'm on here ALOT for advice........but I'm still new to this and well I've
proppogated (I don't think I spelled that right so please excuse my spelling errors lol) quite a few succulent leaves. Quite a few have little babies on them some don't but they have a bunch of roots. My questions are ( I've looked quite a bit on here and am still not a 100 percent sure) the ones that actually have babies, how big do I let them get before I plant them? The leaves that only have roots do I leave EVEN LONGER to see if anything sprouts? From what I've read here not all the cuttings with roots will ever grow plants so what's a good time frame to give them before I should call them lost? And FINALLY, I STILL can't get a jade leaf cutting to grow or even sprout a single root. I've tried laying on top of soil, covering just the tip, covering It half way, rooting hormone, no rooting hormone. In fact I had someone that works at a nursery tell me to plant the WHOLE leaf about an inch down in soil. So I've even done this. They are with all my other cuttings that have taken off except the jades. The only one that is doing good is the cutting from the stem I did from my plant I had to cut back. Just wondering if someone knows the secret to get these to grow from a leaf. As ALWAYS, ALL your advice is MUCH appreciated!! Thanks! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with succulent cuttings

I do know if you are using a cutting to let it dry before you plant it. When I have started mine from the leaves I simply lay it on the soil and water it. It has taken a long time though. I think it took over a month to see any new growth on one plant started from a leaf. Good luck to you

Here is a link that might be useful: How to start a jade plant from a leaf or cutting

o

Thanks! :)

o

Looks like a link to shop at Lowes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here