Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating Thanksgiving cactus

Posted by CactusBoss Zone 5a (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 19:35

I notice how every website says to take at least three segments. This was after I planted several single segment cuttings in a pot. Will they not root If I only took single segments or does it not matter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating Thanksgiving cactus

I have had single segments root for me. I think the multiple segments recomendation is to allow more points for roots to grow. More roots gives the cutting a better chance of success.

o

How exactly do you root them?

o

The reason they say 3 is because one segment alone may not root, you have a much better chance w/3.

This is a good time to root them. Take some damp, not wet, soil high in organic matter. For rooting purposes you can actually use leaves from your other plants. Aglaonemas and other leafy tropicals work well for me, but I have used birch leaves mixed with maples and other native hardwoods. Avoid oak and walnut. It works best if I stand them vertically along the sides of the pot with the pot on one side and the dirt/leaves on the other.

I put the segments barely under the material, cover it lightly and place it in a well lit, warm location. Kept warm and damp, and at this time of year, roots form in about 2-3 weeks. There are many other ways I'm sure. This is my intentional method.

The most common method here is for a segment to fall undetected between the pots. By the time I find it, there are small roots coming between the segments. Summers in S. Penn. must be somewhat like the habitat they come from.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here