Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is it and is it salvageable?

Posted by saragallup 10 CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 19:36

I recently inherited an overgrown & neglected succulent / cactus garden with my new house. Found this guy after clearing out a large section of aloe and/or agave that was past the point of no return. I am a former apt dweller and am new to this whole gardening thing (but loving it so far), so any help and/or advice would be awesome:)Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is it and is it salvageable?

It is an epiphytic cactus, which means it grows up in the trees of jungles ... which also means it can handle a bunch more water, but no cold at all

Looks like an epiphyllum ... you could dig it up and put it in a hanging pot, and with lots of love and care, it will cascade down the pot and maybe some day give you a beautiful flower.

Im wondering what the spot on it are ... is it burn, or some bug? Hopefully someone comes and tells

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mount Washington (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 1:47

Is that in the ground? I would dig it up. Wash off the roots and plant it in a very airy well draining mix like small orchid bark or long strand spagnum.

o

Yes it's in the ground. Would "cactus" mix work? And is it a full sun type? Thanks!

o

If you can salvage it, the plant will do best in mostly shade, outside in a hanging pot like Micro said. Epiphytic cacti can take a thicker soil mix that retains moisture longer than the gritty stuff we like to make around here. So yes, a bagged cactus mix will do just fine.

It looks a little burnt but not beyond saving. Don't count on the existing leaves getting any better or growing. Once re-established, it will send up brand-new growth from below.

o

o

Some types of epi will take a tad of cold and others are really alergic to it. E. oxypetalum is a bit better about getting to 32F but others don't want to be close to it. They will grow back from their roots but will be weak for a season or 2 while they get back on their feet.. I am always testing cold tolerance because of where I live, my inherent laziness, and miles thick sense of denial.

Some say that these plants love good leaf much also. Many will use African violet soil.

Some of these plants get LARGE.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here