Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusn00b

Stapelia's first bloom

CactusN00b
10 years ago

Hi all,

Just wanted to share the first bloom I have had from my Stapelia Gigantea.

This is one of the plants that brought me into the C&S hobby, and it has finally graced me with a bloom. It bloomed while I was at work today, but when I went to check it out , it surprisingly really didn't smell bad. Not sure if it smelled when it first opened, but i was expecting quite a stench.

The pots in the picture are 6.6" for reference. tip to tip is just over a foot.

If any one has any cuttings from a Stapelia that blooms that dark red color ( leendertziae, i think) ... let me know .. been trying to find one for a while now.

Thanks for looking.

Comments (15)

• CactusN00b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

additional pictures

• CactusN00b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

open bloom

• CactusN00b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

last pic.

couldn't figure out how to post all of them in one post....

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

It lives up to its name! Congrats!! =)

• squishyplant
    10 years ago

Hey there! congrats on the bloom! I've got a few S. leendertziae here I'd be willing to part with. Shoot me some info
    Matthew

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Nice,i'd like to find a red one also.
    kathi

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

noticing that rubber mallet...you must have scared it to bloom...
    Very healthy looking plant, and great bloom.

• CactusN00b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yea.. i put the mallet there for a size comparison...then though to myself .. they don't know how big the mallet is :)

thanks for all the kind comments..

Matthew,

I sent you an email.

• kataclysm
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!!!

• alkh86
    10 years ago

Very awesome! I was hoping you'd post once it bloomed. I have many s. gigantea seedlings that I'm not expecting to bloom until next year. But I just picked up a large specimen and I'm hoping for a bloom this year maybe. Thanks for sharing!

• teisa
    10 years ago

Very pretty Cactus Noob,

Does it smell bad? Ive heard some do not. I would like to find out which ones don't. Don't want a bad one :)

• CactusN00b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

teisa,

this one (gigantea) is supposed to smell really bad ... but mine just doesn't...

I wasn't there when it first opened , but I would say I saw it no more than 8 hours after. I even got real close and took a deep breath .. no scent at all..

I had been lead to believe they would stink up to three days after opening.

alkh,

yours looks to be about the same size as mine that just bloomed , if not just a little smaller...so maybe .. hope so.

Mine looks like it might have a few more blooms on the way .. I'll post when/if they pop.

for anyone who is interested, its planted in a plastic hanging bowl ( i drilled 5 holes in it to drain), with MG C&C mixed with perlite. I keep it on the patio out of direct sun...well I try to any way , and I have been watering about once every 10-12 days.
    it has a light top dressing of pea gravel. seems to be working.

• squishyplant
    10 years ago

Hey there! I got your email.Gardenweb blocked your email address so I couldn't reply, and apparently I can't private message you on here either. I am in central FL. too. Melbourne specifically. Anyway, I could probably send you as much as in alkh86's picture above.
    Matthew

• CactusN00b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Matthew,

I changed my profile settings and i think you should be able to send me email now.

I'm only about an hour away on the west side of Orlando.

Let me know what you would like for it, and how much it would cost to ship it. Thanks

• lcadena
    10 years ago

Mine bloomed several black flowers this summer. And yes, they smelled bad but were wonderful to look at.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022