Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I take these out of here?

Posted by PhytoRo none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 19:47

I got this beautiful pot as a gift, but I guess with time I will have to take these plants out of the pot and into some fresh soil and better growing conditions. The problem is that they are underneath a glued layer of tiny stones. How can I do to take them out of here? Any ideas?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I take these out of here?

I have had luck with this by setting the pot out in the sun and letting it get warm ( obviously transition it into full sun if its not already in it ) and peeling chunks of the rocks out with my fingers. sometimes I have needed to carefully use a small screwdriver to pry up a section of stones, ... but you need to be careful if you do that as you could damage roots. once you get a small section peeled out, you should be able to do the rest with you're fingers.

definitely replace the mix. I have yet to see one of these "pre-fab" pots come with the proper soil for succulents.

the ONLY succulent i have gotten root rot with was in one of these "pre-fabs" and i didn't realize they were in inappropriate soil at the time.

Make sure your pot has drain holes too. I seen many that don't have them..

hope that helps

o

Very carefully...

Actually this is quite a common practice today, for convenience in shipping, so the rocks don't fall out. Very inconvenient for the consumer, however. I might wet the rocks to see if that helps unglue them, otherwise it is a matter of chipping away a few at a time, trying not to damage the roots. Or maybe soak in a bucket of water up to the roots, to loosen the rocks enough to remove the plants. Good luck!

Christopher

o

I had success with a spray bottle and a chopstick. Spray a section lightly with water, let sit for just a few minutes. Use a chopstick (or any pointy thing) to pry up the section of rocks as the glue softens.
Patience is the key.
Lennie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here