Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
0nametaken0

Aloe ID and Medicinal Benefits?

0nametaken0
9 years ago

Hi guys, I have my aloes on sale to make space and I was asked this question today. Can these aloes be used for medicinal purposes? I thought all aloes could be used for medicine. So my question is, I think I have Aloe vera var. chinensis. Could someone confirm ID and please educate me on the benefits of aloes? I would love to hear from people who actually grow and use aloes. If there is a burn, do you cut off a leaf and apply its inner liquid to the burn? What else is it used for?

Comments (7)

• zzackey
    9 years ago

The gel can be used for pimples, dry skin, and for dry scalp.

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

There are over 500 species of Aloe and only a small handful have been explored in terms of medicinal value.. .some are known to be toxic and some quite irritating, so please to not assume because a plant is an aloe it has medicinal benefits. But your plant does appear to be that Aloe species closely related to Aloe vera (but NOT Aloe vera) that is often known as Aloe vera var. chinensis (someday it will have a real name, just don't know when). That plant has been used for a variety of medicinal purposes, though the leaf's outer layer contains Aloin, a toxic material.. though still used as a purgative and for causing diarrhea.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

And I wouldn't be using them based on the say-so here. There are a few posts on this forum which advocate for regular Aloe internal use, but you don't see them posting anymore. Personally, I think it's a nutbar diet (stuffs another pork chop into maw).

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So it is not that simple, which is why I asked if someone does use aloes that it be from experience. I think the problem is all species are called the same thing, so its hard to say which aloe vera is safe to use. I searched and found some sites that show how to use aloes but did not specify which aloes.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

You might be misunderstanding....there's only one Aloe vera species (grey-green in full sun and yellow flowers). Aloe vera v. 'chinensis' is spotted and has orange flowers. You might search for ethnobotanical uses for Aloe, which as Geoff notes, some species are emetics and some are for skin irritations, among other uses. I'm pretty sure I could use a leaf from my Aloe marlothii as a scratching utensil for the cats, but I haven't tried it yet.

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I see, sort of.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I heard that the one caused soap aloe will burn your skin. I had an old man buy every aloe I had for sale when I used to sell plants at the flea market. He claimed it cured major things that were wrong with him. Some were the orange flowering ones. They sell Aloe Vera juice in the health food store. Not anything I would recommend you try to sell yourself. Don't want anyone to get sick!