Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulaz_gw

i found some really fantastic finds...i think

PaulaZ
9 years ago

Now I have only been really back "into" succulents for about 2 months but I am obsessive compulsive. add to that I am a bargain hunter. Well I think I hit every Lowe's & Home Depot in our Tri-State Area(WV/OH/PA) this weekend. They got new plants and had a lot marked down for $1 and .50. Here is what followed me home... if you know the unknown mystery plants please help me. I think a few are RARE find...
Like this xGraptoveria cv Fred Ives f. cristata
{{gwi:591215}}

And this Sempervivum arachnoideum f. cristatum hort.
{{gwi:591216}}

Next is Aloe Firebird {{gwi:591217}}

Not sure what this is Aloe? Haworthia?{{gwi:591218}}

This cactus was $1{{gwi:591219}}

Here is another $1 cactus{{gwi:591220}}

Echeveria Black Prince {{gwi:591221}}

I have to take more photos but I got more...LOL Gasteraloe Green Ice, lithops, etc. Remember I am in 2 bedroom 2nd floor patio apartment. I may have to make friends with all my neighbors to plant sit this winter...LOL

Comments (7)

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Pic # 4 is Haworthia limifolia, one of my favorite plants of all time. They remind me of living sculpture. Yours has a nice symmetry & looks healthy.

Takes med light only, semi-shade, ease up on watering a bit in Summer if very hot. Good to see all that perlite!

• PaulaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for ID and care tips pirate girl....I loved it when I saw it and at $3.98 could not pass it up! Do you know if the 2 crested I got are "RARE" finds as I have read oon various websites or did I just get lucky?

• hijole
    9 years ago

Oh yeah! Very nice finds indeed! I like it, I like it. yes I said I like it twice.

Pirate girl, lol.. When I saw your name on the post, my first thought was, um.. The Perlite Advocate and then I read your comment, "glad to see all the perlite." Lol.. Thats awesome and it is a must I agree. Have a nice day.

Greg

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Hiya Greg,

Not sure what you were thinking but hum ... I'm a pumice girl, simply 'cause I've had access to it for a long time, but for those who don't, that's why I advocate Perlite.

{{gwi:545658}}

Drainage really matters for Haws. grown indoors, I've had mine lose roots once or twice (not this one).

Above shot is the cleaned up version of this find I made at a BBS, something like $3.99 like OP's find.

The actual find as I found it.

{{gwi:545655}}

Some real gems out there, if one looks closely, gets lucky & learns the delivery days of the BBS. Then one can get there fast enough before they incur bad care.

Sorry Nancy (OP),

I don't know much about crests of that. I've seen crested Ech. & Aeoniums, not so much of Sedum or Grapto.

'Rare' I think is often overused online, more like a marketing ploy, to try & sucker folks in that the plant is something distinct & unique.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Pardon me Paula, for confusing your name.

• spapa
    9 years ago

Paula,

Fred Ives is one plant that commonly crests; for about every 10 leaves I propagate from a normal Fred Ives plant I get 2-3 crested plants; so that one isn't rare, sorry to say. Not sure about the restâ¦still great prices though, regardless of rarity!

• PaulaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for input spapa

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm