Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattyjade

My poor jade

mattyjade
9 years ago

I have my jade plant for years, it was always massive and robust and healthy!! Over the last 4 weeks it's literally falling apart!! I'm loosing leaves , branches and now whole sections!! I tried changing the soil and it doesn't seem to be getting better!!! HELP!!! I'll be so upset if I loose this plant and I feel like that's were I'm heading!!

Comments (9)

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Can you take a pucture and post take one with your soil you're using too please

• mattyjade
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've lost 2 major root pieces and most of the branches are limp

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

You're losing leaves and might lose the plant? Matty, please search for and read some of the longer jade threads here - it's all there for you. I've found you one that should provide adequate grist to the mill, but there are literally hundreds more in this Forum alone. A picture of your plant would help fabulously.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent Jade Wisdom

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Bad soil, too much water, not enough air circulation (maybe) and being inside are contributing to its demise. It can be grown inside, it's just not happy about it. I bring mine in in the winter, but the rest of the time, it's outside. If that's not an option for you, I'd strongly suggest reading that thread and similar and depotting it and seeing how healthy the rootball is.

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

I agree with cactusmcharris. You need to look for recipe on gritty mix for your soil on this forum too

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

On a good month( maybe even two months) a jade will still grow even with out a root.

I don't think you have a root ball to repot into a better draining soil, may want to try to get some cuttings from the limpy branches

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Maybe even better to cut all those the limp branches off and re-root the stronger trunks (and maybe the secondaries also as they could be rootable) individually in the gritty mix. In my opinion weak cuttings such as you would get from this never go on to make strong plants, so don't use the real limp/thin/weak bits please....the main trunks look to have a far better chance. As I said, just my sixpence worth you understand. Good luck whichever way you go :)

Gill UK

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

if you have root rot (which is a bit likely looking at that soil) I strongly second green claws suggestion. I fought to save my large jade from root rot and ended up with small cutting to root after months of fighting. If I would've been more aggressive in the beginning I could've saved some larger clippings.

Also, you will find all kinds of information on here regarding soil mixes. It can be confusing and has lead me to question what to do. I, personally, have had the best luck with 1 part cacti/succulent mix, 1 part perlite, and 1 part lava rock. The idea is to have very fast draining soil. Succulents are technically desert plants so they thrive when they are dry most of the time with just a little water intermittently.

Good luck and I hope you can save your jade!

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

A thicker more solid branch takes longer to root but whe rooted finished it would be more robust.
    thinner cuttings ( not to thin) are easier and faster to root but takes longer , would need more time and effort to thicken and harden to be as thick as it is now.

If you wanted to you could just re establish the entire root system for the entire plant and hard prune it . Entire re-establishing would be nearly impossible in an in home situation