Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get blooms

Posted by kwie2011 8a w. OR (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 20:20

What kind of fertilizer is best for potted succulents if you actually want them to bloom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get blooms

I use Schultz Cactus & Succulent fertilizer (2.7.7.). Following the direction on the box seems okay, but most will probably dilute it to even less. They need very low nitrogen fertilizers. Most succulents need little to none fertilizers, but they can sure benefit from a bit of it (once a month?). Mesembs (Lithops, Pleiospilos, Fenestraria, Argyroderma), on the other hand, shouldn't be fertilized..

o

Thanks, David!

I hope to grow some Mesembs one day, so that extra little nugget about their care is appreciated.

Kwie

o

No problem! My growing condition isn't optimal for blooming either, but so far I'm having some luck. One Lithops, one Pleiospilos, and Anacompseros have bloomed, with my Senecio and rescue key lime pie getting ready for some action. But then again I've only been growing succulents for a bit over 2 months, so probably can't take all the credit.

Mesembs: Lithops (living stones)

Pleiospilos nelii Royal Flush flowers!

This post was edited by DavidL.ca on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 11:51

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 13:06

I think little to none fertilizer is overstating it. While they can definitely get by on minimal nutrients, none is right out. It is just that when growers include an organic fraction its decomposition provides a slow trickle of fertilizer to the plants in sufficient quantity for at least maintenance. If you put the plant in straight pumice and don't provide nutrients in any way, the plant will die.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here