Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mold or fungus growing in gritty mix?!

Posted by AKluthe none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 20:25

I've got this fuzzy gunk with small little spheres(all purchased from the same source) growing in/clogging the gritty mix.

Anyone experience this? Is there any hope beyond nuking the site from orbit?

http://i.imgur.com/tUgtjmE.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mold or fungus growing in gritty mix?!

That's weird. Where do you live? Humidity? You wonder if there was some nasties already living on the introduced bark fines?

o

Well, for what it's worth, my bark fines came from someone else who isn't having this issue, and I have other plants from the same batch of gritty mix that are doing fine. They've been in it since December, maybe? And until the last month or so, they've been inside.

I had a crested graptoveria I posted about here that had stem rot. After cutting it down to save it, I found this junk growing down in the roots. I've since cut down two other plants after finding this stuff (though they were leggy and I planned to behead them anyway.) I now found it in this haworthia and a couple others. The only plants I've found it in came from the same place.

o

I wonder if a hydrogen peroxide and water mix would be useful in this case? I haven't done it, myself, but perhaps other could advise on the particulars.

Josh

o

Is peroxide the preferred method of fungal removal? Is it preferable to something like physan?

o

Can't tell for sure from the pic....but maybe root mealy bugs? Just a thought!

Gill UK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here