Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19697163

Gimme an A! Gimme aâ¦Beginner's Tutorial on Jade Pruning? Please

User
10 years ago

Greetings and Salutations!

I am new to the forum and a beginner at working with plants. I purchased a $4-ish jade plant at LoweâÂÂs back at the end of April (actually, the 11 oz container had 7 plants in it). I have repotted it (one separately and the rest together) and it is doing marvelously. It has grown 1 inch over the last 2 and a half months (soil to top ~4.5 inches). All of that growth has been vertical (makes me think of bamboo when I look at it over breakfast actually). IâÂÂve read on eHow and About.com on ways to make it branch out but decided to turn to the forum for more guided instruction.

{{gwi:592715}}

IâÂÂve seen wonderful pictures of jades on this forum and great instructions on pruning; however, it has always been for older and larger plants. I would appreciate any tips or advice people may have for setting my little jades on the path to growing big and strong like their big brothers and sisters IâÂÂve seen here. IâÂÂd especially like to know how to start forming branches and hardening the trunk to make it look woody. IâÂÂm also curious to learn about the differences between pruning stems/leaves and pinching new growth--when to apply each technique and what the effects of each are.

HereâÂÂs a picture blurrily focused on one plant if anyone might be willing to offer suggestions of cuts to make and what results they would lead to. It actually has a split trunk at the base.

{{gwi:592716}}

As a side query, I currently have the 6 plant group in a plastic pot with Miracle Grow Cactus and Succulent mixand would like to transplant it to a clay pot with AlâÂÂs 1:1:1 mix. IâÂÂve had to keep it indoors this summer because weâÂÂve gotten a ton of rain and I was worried it was too much. What are the ramifications of repotting at a time other than the ideal spring/fall? If it is ok to repot now, how would that affect what and when I work with pruning, etc?

IâÂÂd appreciate any feedback and suggestions that anyone may have and hope this will be a useful post for other beginners as well!

Many thanks,

Nathan

Comments (18)

• Pots_Alot
    10 years ago

MG Vs. better draining VIA grits = re-pot asap
    you'll need to acclimate it for outside sun from the inside less direct to more direct sun over two-three weeks
    prune tip... Very late winter early spring 2015

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Re-potting at a less ideal time of the year just means a slower recovery period...and an increased chance of root-rot (although this can be mitigated by dry-potting and then waiting at least a week before watering).

Your plants are small, so re-pot them into a fast-draining mix and begin fertilizing. They'll grow bigger very quickly, and then you can nip off the tops to encourage branching.

Certainly, you could pinch the tips now if you want.

Josh

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both for your comments and tips!

Josh, is dry potting just what it sounds--wait until the soil dries out, then repot into dry soil? I have another thread going where I asked about pre-moisturising the gritty mix before using it. The general consensus seems to be that you should pre-soak the soil. Does that only apply at the correct repot time? So in my case, doing it out of season would not be good?

Pots_Alot, thanks for the suggestions on acclimating. They reminded me of another question I had along those lines. Like I said, I have not moved these outside because of the heavy rains we've been having since they are succulents and in peat-based soil--sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Anyway, when acclimating, do you take the plants outside for a few hours a day and then bring them back in? Or do you keep them outside but move them from less light to more light?

Also, if anyone could comment on this question I had in the original post, I would appreciate it: "IâÂÂm also curious to learn about the differences between pruning stems/leaves and pinching new growth--when to apply each technique and what the effects of each are."

Thank you both again,

Nathan

10 years ago

pinching/pruning amounts to the same thing, more or less.
    Obviously, you can only pinch through stems/branches of a certain thickness with fingers, so pinching is usually of tender growth...pruning for heavier growth.

Dry potting is re-potting with dry media, and not watering the mix after potting. We're talking Succulents.

If potting trees and other plants, the Gritty Mix should be moist and the re-potted plants watered in well.

Josh

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've made a post and I've had a couple of questions I've been meaning to ask but haven't had a chance. Apologies for the lack of pictures but here's a brief update on my (not so little anymore) crassulas.

The one in the little brown pot has grown tremendously and is now about a foot tall. The trunk is starting to thicken and harden and looks very nice. I left it in the MG cactus soil as an experiment. There was a bout of overwatering but it has bounced back ok. The soil is getting somewhat compacted so its time for a change.

The others I have separated into two pots. One was in a small 4'' pot and the other 3 in a 6'' pot both in gritty mix. The latter were definitely overpotted and underwatered so I have since moved them to another 4'' as well. I ended up potting in 1/2 gritty, 1/2 MG which is actually working pretty well. Both are quite a bit smaller than the one in the brown pot. I've also experimented with some pruning--just had to see the results for myself--and I have about 6 more rootings from the leaves I clipped (also in the 1/2 and 1/2).

All of them have been kept inside since last April. They are about 3" from a SE corner window unfortunately over a floor vent. I am going to be moving them outside this year if we ever thaw out and know about gradually introducing them to sunlight.

Okay, so here are my two questions:

1st: Next winter, when I bring them inside, how can I induce dormancy? They have grown straight through this winter with new growth all the time so they haven't really had a dormant period this year. What should I do regarding lighting, temperature, watering, etc...or is dormancy not as important for succulents as other plants? I tried to reduce my watering this winter (once per week), but the plants were just unhappy with that and responded well when I watered more.

2nd: I've noticed that the leaves in general--especially the one I left in the MG soil--are not as plump as when I first purchased the plants. They are thin, but very firm (almost rock hard). They are also elongated and curled at the tips. Is this what is meant by etiolation? In general the growth has been balanced and the stems are not bending towards the window to get more light.

Thanks in advance!

Nathan

(I'll try to add a couple pictures later this evening or over the weekend--unfortunately none before and after pruning.)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi,

Pls. do further reading up on Jades, why would you want to put them into dormancy?

FYI: Winter is the Crassula (Jades) time of active growth. No dormancy here. When Jades actually slow down is in Summer in the strongest heat.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. In my reading I had found no mention other than to reduce watering in winter to which my plants did not respond well. That is why I was curious if jades even require a dormant cycle.

As promised here is picture of two of my jade pots.

{{gwi:592717}}

I wasn't able to get a great picture showing the thin leaves but I think you can see it ok here for the middle plant. The largest leaves are about 2-2.5" long. It was great watching the ones on the left branch out some after I pinched back the top growth. I've also trimmed back some of the lower leaves to expose the trunk.

Here are the lil' ones I have propagated (sorry for the blurriness, the macro setting on my camera leaves something to be desired).

{{gwi:592718}}

This reminds me of one more question about the single plant of the left. The top sides of the leaves are nice and green but the stem and the underside of the leaves are dark reddish-purple. I know that red can indicate stress but that is usually bright in pictures I have seen and this is dark.

Cheers,

Nathan

10 years ago

Welcome back.
    The Jades are totally fine. The red-tinge on the small plants is typical, particularly when young....but with any luck, that strong coloration will remain a characteristic of the plant as it matures.

The other Jades are looking good, despite the lower light of Winter. The large (and thin) leaves, as well as the internode length (the space between leaf pairs), is due primarily to less than optimum light.

I've been watering my Jades in fast-draining mix at least weekly, and more often on the days that I take them outside. When actively growing, they will use up that available moisture.

Josh

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Nathan

You may have read not to water any succulents too much if in colder temps. Cold, damp soil is bad for them.

I had to keep mine this winter in cold room (48-50F) and watered them all only about 1x in 3weeks.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 20:56

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys! Glad to know that everything looks like it is going ok and I'm looking forward to taking them outside (gradually of course) once the temperatures are up and the rest of the snow melts!

Rina, now that you mention it, I recall that is what I read. Since I maintained a warmer temperature for my plants, that makes more sense why they were unhappy when I held back on the water. If I may ask, when you mentioned the cold room, was that coincidence because of the colder weather we had this year or did you use a colder room intentionally? If it was intentional, could you please elaborate? I also really enjoyed your then and now pictures you posted last week!

Josh, thanks for the steady hand and voice of confidence as always! I liked the planter you posted for your sister-in-law. I think a container garden is the next project I will attempt, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Thanks again,

Nathan

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Nathan

Thank you for comment on 'then & now' thread.
    I know that many are able to grow succulents much better & faster. That's why I read every post, and post some of mine-to compare & learn.
    I kept them in cold room for 'practical' reason - have a new place, but didn't move in yet, just 90% of my plants. So in order not to have to pay astronomical $$$ to heat 2 houses, I had to keep temps down. I did have the supplemental lighting set up for few hrs/day. I am sure it could have been more, but again-had to watch $$$ too.
    Temps were set @49F, and plants did very well. Besides succulents, I have there f. Benjamina, 4 pots of figs (kept those in bsmt. in order to keep dormant - now they are leafing out), boston ferns, 6 olives, 7 angels trumpets (Brugmansia) and few other.
    I do have some casualties: 3 of my euphorbias are gone, and Meyer lemon. I think (not sure) that they were just too cold, or maybe should been watered even less in col temps.
    I know that soil is good, very well draining.
    But I noticed that many plants actually look great, some better than when I had them in warmer house - definitely less water (I tend to water too much) was great for them. I watered approx. every second 'visit' & that would be approx. 3weeks. Few grew very leggy, but that's to be expected if not enough sun. So those will get their 'heads chopped off' as soon as it get warm. Yay, more plants.

BTW, I have at least 20 pots of jades, all of them grown from cuttings or fallen leaves. Few of them are very unruly and there is going to be lots more cuttings.
    Even if there were occasional shrivelled leaves (just few), I am sure it was still better than rotted roots. Photo of few in Nov. 2013 (have to update!)

Rina

...sheesh, that's long read....sorry!

This post was edited by rina_ on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 13:35

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Nathan

You also mentioned reddish leaves, here are some of my 'younglings' that are grown from reg. green jades & have reddish leaves.

BTW, I am not expert on jades or any other succulents, read whatever you can find posted by Josh and few others. They have done wonders with their plants.

Rina

• cactus_cowboy
    10 years ago

They'll get that nice red color on the leaves if grown in full sun. I don't usually prune Crassullas. Grown hard, they'll stay compact and branch heavily on their own.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

c_c

Nice plant and nice flowers!
    Not sure if you mentioned - do you have sunroom/greenhouse? Any idea of age of your plant?

Rina

• cactus_cowboy
    10 years ago

That particular plant, which I no longer have, was grown in my greenhouse. IIRC, it was about five or six years old from a small cutting when I snapped that photo.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow guys, those pictures are fabulous! Thanks both of you for sharing! I can't wait for my plants to grow that large!

C_C, I will definitely have to leave some of my jades alone and let nature take its course.

Rina, thanks for the explanation. I wasn't sure if you made the room colder specifically for the plants. Sorry about the ones you lost but I'm glad most seemed ok. I may need some tips in the future on how to safely move plants--fortunately I don't have nearly as large a collection...yet! I feel a lot better after seeing the picture of your plants out the window with the trees. The only available windows (SE and SW) I have look out into the backyard where we have a huge tulip tree and two maples so the light coming to the window is fairly dappled. Certainly looks like it didn't bother your jades though!

Thanks!

Nathan

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Nathan

Just to add something - it's not visible in the photo, but I have a shoplite with 2 lights hanging over the jades (raised it out of view to take photo). It's on just for few hrs/day, but that window is small and even facing west, doesn't get enough sun because the trees.

And I keep all succulents outside as soon as weather is good (seems to be never this year?!...)

Rina

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Rina, thanks for the addendum. I will probably consider supplemental lighting for next winter after some research into what the options are.

I can certainly empathize with you on the weather. We've gradually been climbing into the 40's during the day this week and most of the snow had melted and I could see grass yesterday. Then I woke up this morning and the ground was completely covered again. Last I heard, we had 68 inches of snow in total as of March 1st and probably 5 or so since then. Not good for the succulents but great for cross-country skiing!

Best,

Nathan