Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suivezmoi

New plants from Trader Joe's (what is it?)

suivezmoi
9 years ago

Couldnt resist these when I was going in to grab lunch (I was only supposed to come out with plants I could eat)

No idea what this one is. I actually thought it was fake for a little bit.{{gwi:593108}}

Seems like an ok little assortment {{gwi:593110}}

These are some I picked up at the nursery last week. Havent potted them yet, they don't seem to be a good fit for any of the ones I already have.
{{gwi:593112}}

{{gwi:593114}}

Comments (14)

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Wow ~I didn't know Trader Joe's sold any sux. =)

As Karen (pirate girl) said, 1st one is Kalanchoe tomentosa (cultivar). Most would probably call this 'Chocolate Soldier'. I think it's 'Golden Girl', but it might just look different when grown in different conditions. (one of those!)

Multi-sux pot: Tall one -Crassula, maybe 'Campfire' (if so, should turn red for you if grown in sun), skinny leaved one -Sedum of some sort (I'm rushing-so not researching), one in front -possibly Crassula tetragona (but need a better look), on right -seems to be Aeonium 'Kiwi' (but could be other).

3rd pic: both Euphorbia, left one crested, right one might be E. fimbriata (most often called E. mammillaris, mistakenly). More tomorrow, if time permits. :P

Last pic: I have never seen that combination of grafted cactus! Neat-O! One on right is Euphorbia horrida 'Snowflake'.

• suivezmoi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks y'all. I like having names to go with them :)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

...rosemarie, hoping your son is better?...Rina

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

The crested Euphorbia might be Euphorbia spirals cristata.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

Excuse me Howard and Rosemarie. But I think that is a crested Huernia. Parts not crested is a Huernia. Never seen one like it.
    Suivezmoi,
    Can you get another one from the nursery you bought that one from . Email me for more information. I can't email you.
    Stush

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Sorry, Stush, but I disagree. The non-cresting part also looks like a Euphorbia. You can see the leaves on the crested & non-cresting plants. Huernia do not have leaves, more like protrusions...which the plant does have...so I can see why you thought so. Brain isn't firing on all cylinders YET to give a suggestion as to species. I will go look up Howard's suggestion! I'll be baaaack!

Thank you, Rina! :) Son is better. Past the pain part. Kidney stone must've moved into the bladder. Day 8 now, waiting for it to EXIT! :P

• suivezmoi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Stush, I am unable to email you. It says delivery error. I am sure I can get another one, I think I saw one there today.

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

A bit more sleep, so brain might be firing on all pins today. :D

Just coming back to show my 'Chocolate Soldier'. Keep in mind it's in California's full sun, so it has compact growth & darker (better IMO) color. 1st pic is from awhile back (could be yrs ago) w/the species, Kal tomentosa. 2nd pic is plant in more recent days.
    Click for larger view

{{gwi:593116}} {{gwi:593118}}

You can Google images of Kalanchoe 'Golden Girl', but will find many mislabeled. You will find ones that look like yours.

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

As for the crested Euphorbia, Howard's suggestion does seem very close. I have found 2 pix online showing plants that do look similar to Euphorbia spiralis. However, to me, the one plant that isn't crested (that I can see) looks like it has only 7 ribs & it is not spiraling. My plant has 8 ribs & they are very close together at the top.

There is another Euphorbia I have in mind...unfortunately, not in "words"...that I cannot recall at the moment, or find~no matter how hard I try. :P

9 years ago

suivezmoi,
    Forgot to menition my carrier changed. It is now stanqk1@comcast.net.
    Roro,
    I coppied picture and blew it up and still see a huernia. I have some with 9 ribs, 8 ribs and 6 and 5 with 4 being the most common. My crested Huernia has 11 ribs. makes it very hard to count. Didn't see those leaves but my be the soft spines of huernia.
    Right now I am a Huernia addact and seeing them everywhere so maybe my brain is the one not working.
    Also forgot to add my good wishes to your son as well. I had them once and can not remember a more painful experience. God bless.
    Stush

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Stush, I agree Huernia are great plants. It's easy to become an addict. Still, the leaves are the main characteristic that says it is NOT a Huernia. The plant could be pricked to see if it bleeds a milky sap (=Euphorbia).

Thanks for your good wishes for our son. He is on the mend. :D It was no fun, 3 of the 7 days pain a 10, on scale of 1 to 10. I believe it is the closest thing to childbirth that men can experience. Yeow! Glad you only had it once!

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

Goodness, Trader Joe's...now another place I have to check for plants!
    Nice variety.
    Karen

9 years ago

suivezmoi,
    Please email me. I corrected my member's page. I want to ask you about that crested one in the picture. If you can get another one?
    Stush

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus