Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantlover80

looking for plant care instructions

plantlover80
10 years ago

Hoping to get some good info on this specific plant. I am under the impression this is called a CRASSULA PORTULACEA RUBRA "Crosby compact jade". This plant I have doesn't seem to like my care as much as my other jade plants. I grabbed the top of one stem and the top two nodes came off as if they weren't connected at all. The rest of them are just browning at the top every other week or so. Hoping someone has one and has some experience growing it. I live in Wisconsin. The sun rolls over the roof so no direct sunlight :-(. I have"as of today" brought it outside. Zone 5 I believe. It is in it's original soil from store and I added potting soil with sand.
Thanks in advance

Comments (18)

• Pots_Alot
    10 years ago

Crassula Ovata Crosby compact AKA Jade

Sand ? Would be a no no if to fine. Example if play ground sand would be not good as it eventually blocks drainage Even on a good day construction sand would need sifting and mixed though and into a soil

During peak growing times there could be a counter suggestion and not to be wasting some unimportant keyboard time fair to ask
    What do you want to do ?

In the mood for a complete Jade make over ? Got grits ?

This post was edited by Pots_Alot on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 1:06

• plantlover80
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some of what you said made sense. The second part....very confused.what do I want to do with it? I want it to live of course. Thank you for your input. I think I will repot it tomorrow with better soil.

• JoeCaudex
    10 years ago

I use a rough mix of perlite, horticultural grit and multipurpose compost for all of my succulents, including my jades. They all seem to thrive in this mixture.

• plantlover80
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Joe. I'll take your advise and do just that.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Careful pls. Compost here (in the US) is not the same as UK (which I believe is just regular soil, or garden soil) where JoeCaudex is posting from. Compost from US will be too rich & water retentive for this plant.

I'd suggest Cactus & Succulent mix w/ 50% extra perlite. Or another of the mixes recommended on here, but not compost pls.

• JoeCaudex
    10 years ago

Pirate girl. Multi purpose compost here is peat based and like you say, water retentive. However the mix I use is one third compost, one third perlite and one third grit. There's not enough compost in the mixture to cause any drainage issues and it retains some nutrients.

• plantlover80
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks pirate girl for the warning. I can't use a compost anyways. For some reason when I do, my cat digs. I was just going to use a grit, perlite and succulent mix. From all the resources I was given, I think that will be good.

• JoeCaudex
    10 years ago

You could use coir as well if you wanted to. It's made from coconut husks.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Here sometimes it has salt & requires rinsing. Others find it breaks down badly. Might take some experimenting with.

• plantlover80
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I used a potting soil 25% organic cactus/succulent 15% perlite30% and a vermiculite 30%. I hope that is a good combo. Couldn't find a grit out here.

• JoeCaudex
    10 years ago

A big no on the vermiculite! It is VERY moisture retentive!

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Plantlover,

If that's what you've got available & it's for C&S, I'd skip the vermiculite & increase the perlite (I think vermiculite holds water, not what's wanted for C&S), the perlite helps drainage.

Some people just use C&S w/ perlite & that works fine, I've used it myself.

• Pots_Alot
    10 years ago

No doubt in my mind that in a pound of peat a Jade will live as any plant can as well and peat is the counter suggestion to grits that had been suggested also.
    When you want to "GROW" your Jade gander though some other threads

• plantlover80
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the help. Okay, I changed the pot to a potting soil/c&s mix and perlite

• 100mphtortoise
    10 years ago

Plantlover, I just got my first ever jade last month and ive got it in c&s and perlite 50/50 and its been growing outside on my front porch and its doing pretty good.

• 100mphtortoise
    10 years ago

Plantlover, I just got my first ever jade last month and ive got it in c&s and perlite 50/50 and its been growing outside on my front porch and its doing pretty good.

• greenlarry
    10 years ago

Its a Crassula. Portulaca is a different genus.

• Pots_Alot
    10 years ago

Any counter suggestions ? Don't forget to water