Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david90531

Baby toes ID and care

DavidL.ca
9 years ago

As mentioned in my other post I acquired one of my most wanted succulent baby toes today, and it is labeled as Frithia tuberculosa, I'm not sure if that's right because I can't find any info. on that. Could it be a Frithia pulchra? I know they are very similar to Fenestraria aurantiaca, is the only difference their flowers?

What are some general tips to care for these? To repeat my growing conditions they are indoor, good indirect sun throughout the day, with 3-4 hours of direct sun through the window, humidity is usually quite low due to central AC. How often should I water these? The lady said these can take a bit more water than lithops.

Any help is appreciated!
{{gwi:590376}}

Comments (7)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

From here it looks like you have a fenestraria. My view from looking at the frithia is that the surface is stippled on the frithia and smooth on the fenestraria. also the frithia has a slight dent in the cross section of the shaft , sometimes heart shaped, versus the much rounder fenestraria..

The site below has great pictures of both . you can see what I am talking about. scroll down ( 2nd, 4th and 5th picture).

Here is a link that might be useful: comparative pictures

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! Yes I agree the frithia has less of a smooth texture, and also the shape of the leaves is different. I guess when it flowers I would be able to tell for sure.
    Do you have any care tips for these types of plant? I heard they grow in the winter.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Mine is in a group pot and I water AROUND it but not on it in the summer. I mean I water the plants on the other side of the pot. So it does get some water but not a whole bunch. I also don't freak out at the first crack and withered toe. I think they go through periods of absorbing old growth before putting on new growth.

The dirt in the pot is REALLY old in need of changing. I am not looking forward to that. I should do it this year.
    {{gwi:593435}}

{{gwi:593437}}

{{gwi:593439}}

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I see, very cool succulent dish! I wish I have such space for my plants :(. I will do as you suggest for summer watering then, do they get more watering in fall and winter then? Some people also suggest misting them, what do you think?

Yeah, the soil that mine is in also seems a bit heavy for succulents, I might do some repotting, is this an okay time of the year to do so?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I do all my repotting in the summer. I am not an expert . If there is a rule, I have probably broken it . I don't do a lot of misting. Not that that isn't good. I am just lazy and doing life to do anything more than once a week. I do get it out of store bought dirt first thing. Usually it is peat based and will not do for my regimen. I use a gentle hose to squirt the dirt off or a small stick or brush to take it off dry and I let it dry for a couple of days. Then I plant.

I am in Texas and even here, I have to break my back moving all these things in winter. BUT I just move them back out when the cold snap is over (rolling tables). I could not imagine growing them in Canada. I probably wouldn't be growing cactus if I lived up north. Hats off to all that do. I grow cactus because they allow me to ignore them in our heat.

• amarloestodo
    9 years ago

baby toes need very very little water. the toes will crack open on the tips if given too much water. they are like labradors....just dont know when to stop drinking!

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys! I think I have a pretty good idea for taking care of them now, wish me luck!