Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Slate Alternative to Pumice?

Posted by bikerdoc5968 6 SE MI (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 21:06

Was out at a local nursery and they had a product called PermaTill,STALITE PermaTill rotary-kiln fired expanded slate particle.

(http://permatill.com/home-garden-products.php?cat=8).

Has anyone ever used fired slate in their mix? I have tried to find pumice in my area and it isn't never going to happen and this looks like a possible alternative for me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Slate Alternative to Pumice?

Well Doc, looks like your ready to lay a New Slate. :)

I would try it on a couple of plants and wait and see what happens, I've 4ever heard of it won't used but it would be worth a try. Let us know.

Greg

o

Well Doc, looks like your ready to lay a New Slate. :)

I would try it on a couple of plants and wait and see what happens, I've 4ever heard of it won't used but it would be worth a try. Let us know.

Greg

o

I've never heard of it being used.

Sorry about the double.

Greg

o

Howard,

I haven't used stalite myself, but an outfit called Repotme.com sells it and uses it in their C&S mix. I have used some of their orchid mixes in the past and the quality of them has been outstanding in my opinion. The link below to their site has some good info on stalite.

Here is a link that might be useful: Repotme.com

o

Not suggesting you buy stalite through the mail, but just wanted to show that it is being used by what I think is a company selling very high quality potting mixes. BTW....they also sell pumice for anyone interested in small quantities. It would not be cost effective to buy from them if you need it anything other than a small amount. And believe it or not, they even sell....bit my tongue.....gritty mix!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gritty Mix

o

Personally, I use poultry grit instead of pumice. It's a bit dusty out of the bag, but easily rinsed. It's heavier than pumice or stalite and doesn't have their porosity or any absorption capabilities, but it dramatically improves drainage, doesn't cost much and is widely available.

o

I use 'Developer's Grit'. It's $6/50# bag. They make Turkey Grit but they were out of it so I got the next size down.

o

I have used an expanded shale and my C & S did fine. I paid about $12 for 40 lbs. It is not quite the same then but I thought if I had used perlite , and crushed granite and pumice, all very different, My plant could deal with this. It had more porosity and was lighter than the crushed granite, but was heavier and not As porous as the pumice. It was not going to turn into mush , so what the heh.

o

Thanks, Mara. It is a bit more costly locally but it is what it is and I will try it.

o

Sounds like something I need. They have it at our local Ageways. I'll wait for a follow up.
Stush

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here