Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusboss

Too deep?

CactusBoss
10 years ago

Is this pot too deep for Rhipsalis cuttings?

Comments (11)

• User
    10 years ago

I think so, I'd say half that depth should do.

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is this better?

• avery09
    10 years ago

I think an unglazed pot would probably be better but the size looks right on. I'd go for it. Make sure you use a well draining soil! :)

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm using standard cactus mix is that okay?

• User
    10 years ago

I think the pot is still too tall, I'd use plastic pot & amend the mix w/ at least 1/3 as much perlite to make the mix lighter & airier (is that a word?).

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You sure it's still too deep? This should give you a better idea of how big it is.

This post was edited by CactusBoss on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 1:53

• teisa
    10 years ago

Q The glazed pots (especially with attached bottoms) are the worst for not drying out. I had a plant failing in one once. I was going to change pots. When I unpotted 1/2 of the dirt was soaking wet. IT NEVER drains! So it's because it's glazed it doesn't dry well plus the attached bottom, usually only has one drain hole. And that makes it slow to drain. I love these pots but I wouldnt take the chance in loosing a plant!!

• Pots_Alot
    10 years ago

In a good mix it would work. Deeper makes more room for roots more roots make for bigger plant. Problem is it takes time for roots to grow in a pot that's a bit to over sized size in depth and tend to bind them selves up at the top a bit VS traveling downward
    Biggest problem I think you'll have is figuring out how to bottom water Via the built in saucer.
    Might not be the best pot by forum suggestions but It's been done with very good results

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I put them in the tan pot that my Espostoa was in. Would they root better if I put a plastic bag over them?

• User
    10 years ago

Pls. don't they'll likely rot.

The pots you're showing are too glary to really see (sorry), but they look to me a similar size as the first one which when asked, I said was too deep. If you'd put them side by side, I bet you'd see that.

Don't mean to be curt or rude, but sometimes simplicity is the key. Get a smallish plastic pot just an inch or 2 in diameter larger than the the size of this cluster of cuttings. Once put in correct mix & watered well just once, then pls. leave it alone. Just check it & maybe water ever 3rd day. What these plants need to root is TIME.

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's in a plastic pot now. I just have terrible luck rooting cuttings.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio