Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deva33atlanta

food coloring when you water???

Hey,

So, I saw on pinterest that you can add food coloring to the water when you water your succulents and can get them to be a little more colorful. Has anyone ever tried this? I am concerned that it would hurt the plant but it might be cool to see a little more color in my very green collection!

Comments (47)

• Misselle
    9 years ago

I have seen a lot of people do this with white roses and other plants. I don't believe this has any negative effects, especially if you try to find a natural food colouring. If you do, please share pics :-)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

No, no, no, no, no (something I learned from my wife).

• hijole
    9 years ago

Lol.. I was actually getting very excited about this ideaand I have to admit, curiosity got the Cat and then I read cactusmcharris post and thought, ok, I can relate to that resounding, No no no No... :)

But the cat is still speaking to me saying, come on... What could it hurt..? Lol can someone please try it or give us your experience.

Greg

• Misselle
    9 years ago

Maybe you could do an experiment on a small cutting or something. You have got me interested too now lol. I'm racking my brain for which plant I could experiment with....lol

• Laura Robichaud
    9 years ago

Why use food color when there is this great spraypaint you can use????

• Colleen E
    9 years ago

Laura! CRACKING me up!!

Anything unnatural or not the norm contributed to a plant, that's a "no" for me... I have heard it needs to be quite an extraordinary amount of food coloring to start making a difference.

• Laura Robichaud
    9 years ago

The best coloring a plant can have is the color that comes with a happy, healthy plant in the best possible conditions! It is the payout for good husbandry.

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok.... I hear the mixed reviews and I totally understand both points of view - as I said, I had mixed feelings myself. I have a Sedum morganianum, or rather several in one pot, that I will take a few of and experiment with. I was thinking of using blue because, well, I just don't know how most other colors would turn out being that it will still have a tint of green.

With that said. I recently moved and have outdoor space to keep my succulents and they are loving it! I love how they get a little more colorful with the right amount of sun. Variegated jade is getting really pink, and my jades are getting a little red on the edges. :-)

• Skylights
    9 years ago

I saw this on Pinterest also, and will definitely try it this summer. I doubt the food coloring will hurt the plant since it is nontoxic. Any cut flower will take up the coloring and the veins will turn blue. Since a succulent has so much interior tissue filled with water I imagine it will look solid blue, rather than 'veiny'. Sounds like an interesting experiment to me.

• k8 (7b, NJ)
    9 years ago

with roses, the flower petals are dyed, but the leaves/stem aren't....im judt not sure how that would work, like, biologically with succulent leaves? I saw the post as well and the photo look spray painted to me so I'm skeptical

{{gwi:2125333}}

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

W H Y???

I agree with Laura R. & teatree & Jeff...
    Buy paper/artificial flowers if you want unnatural colors like that....I apologize if this reads too harsh, I don't mean to be disrespectful....after all, it is your choice.

Rina

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

I don't like fake stuff,be it plants,food,or even people,so I'll stick with what nature provides.
    Kathi

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

hijole, your plants are all ready so colorful. Are you going to dye those red pencil cactus green?

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Has anyone seen hijole on here lately? The last post I remember from him I think was in October. Sure hope all is well with him.

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

I agree, I hate anything fake, even those so-called MOON cacti.

And I was wondering just the other day where Greg (Hijole) was as well. He always had a nice outdoor succulent garden.

Christopher

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

I don't think it would work anyways. It works for things like celery that's already cut.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Greg is on facebook and seems to be doing well.

Josh

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Thank you Josh! That is good news! Glad to hear he is doing well!
  • Jack Henderson
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hey, after seeing all these comments, I have to try the coloring of the dull(lol) succulents. I'll post my results.

• Erica Ferrier
    8 years ago

I know that greenhouses like Costa farms use a blue dye to get their orchids a blazing blue color- it looks amazing so I would assume you could try it...

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

Different opinion here - why can't people enjoy plants the way they are suppose to look...these 'methods' of fake flowers, painting plants-either spray paints of dye drinks-...are crazy-JMO.

• kaktuskris
    8 years ago

The fake blue orchids look amazing? Really? They look like fake blue orchids to me.

Christopher

• Sierra
    8 years ago

I have to agree, Im against it.

Although if someone is going to try, here's this concerning other plants:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/effects-food-dye-flowers-roots-101292.html

So it's pretty likely it wouldn't work anyway. Seems that box stores resort to spray paint anytime they want to sell colorful succulents, which leaves me a whole other kind of angry

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We prune, shape, and do other things to our plants that some may consider "unnatural". So, if it doesn't harm the plant, and no one is doing it to your plants, why would anyone be so agaisnt it? Spray painting them is harmful, as is doesn't allow the plant to get the necessary sun. I never ended up trying it, I just purchased some new plants with color. But if someone wants to try it, hey. It's your plant. Do what makes you happy. I appreciate those who provide useful responses, on this thread and others. I think we often forget how to behave in a social interaction and to be respectful of differences...

• kaktuskris
    8 years ago

I don't see where someone was disrespectful, including myself. It is a silly matter of dyed or coloured plants, who would take offense at that, honestly?

• Sierra
    8 years ago

I'm not sure who that comment is directed at (Deva, not kaktuskris) but my comment certainly wasn't intended as disrespectful.

However, I can't seem to find any solid proof that the dye DOESNT hurt the plants -if someone has, please share?- and considering the original point of this thread was to find out how to dye/if it would harm the plant, I think everything's been pretty on topic.

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    8 years ago

IMO, commenting on a thread simply to say you don't like the idea and think it's ugly is like introducing yourself to someone just to say you think their shirt is ugly. My comment was a general statement not necessarily directed at any one person. I don't see any disrespect when you provide useful information regarding the proposed question. sdm_prpl you provided useful information regarding the question even though you don't agree with the post.

It's not just this thread. I've been seeing it more and more on this forum and I find it disappointing.

• kaktuskris
    8 years ago

I think the purpose of this forum is more than just about providing 'useful information'. If we only want that, we can just use Google. It is also about sharing our plants, our opinions and our ideas. Dying plants is something you like or you don't, and we should be able to say whether we do or not without fear that we are offending someone with the opposite viewpoint. And if we choose to say no more, so be it.

There was no venom here, as I too have seen on other posts, where the discussion can get overly heated over something we are supposed to be doing as enjoyment and relaxation. This is a forum for all...the newbie, the casual grower, and the more experienced grower as well. We are all of different personalities and natures, and even nationalities, so don't expect every member to conform to your particular ideas on what one should or should not post. I have been on this forum for quite a few years now, and have seen many a heated discussion over the dissing of Jades and the correct succulent soil, and I have seen people banned from the forum for their rudeness. but overall, this is a happy place.

Christopher.

• nomen_nudum
    8 years ago

These colored cacti and succulents always spark my interest wondering how they'd turn out over time

The bending and shaping of a plant can most certainly be recreated in nature . Who's going to tell that elephant what twig or branch it can not eat from, where or what to do to it's favorite snack ?

A Wind brews from the Antarctic nobody tells the wind what branches it isn't allowed to bend or break or twist on it's way to the Arctic, yes some do try to replicate the normal "natural' conditions. Because nature is allowed to, most already know nature doesn't have to be nice to plants more often than not nature isn't nice to them at all.

Those who twist, wire, bend, break things off there plants for shapes is often times an art. This art is unlike the art of cake decorating with artificial food coloring to color frosting. Unlike because one art is for a cake the other art is for a natural looking plant.

Unless there is a food coloring fairy running around nature that I don't know about all I get to do is remain in wonder; What the BLEP where they thinking.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    8 years ago

I saw a video on YouTube about adding food coloring to the water. A gal was doing an experiment to see if it would work to change the colors. As I recall, she added a few drops of color to the water. After 48 hours none of the succulents showed any color change. Maybe she needed more food color, or maybe it really doesn't work.

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Planet... I love your post. Thank you!!!

• breathnez
    8 years ago

Ok, I'm getting an idea for a prank on my neighbors...

• breathnez
    8 years ago

Maybe I could film their reaction when they come out and find their large jade plant has turned purple! Just kidding, but it might be kind of fun (if it didn't harm the plant and wasn't permanent).

• MsGreenFinger GW
    8 years ago

Does photosynthesis work in the coloured leaves? If not, you only starve the plants for the sake of a bit of eye candy.

• Erin Stephenson
    8 years ago

Just FYI---I did it (added blue food coloring to water and watered my succulents). It Does NOT do anything. I am not going to do it again, just in case I shocked them. I love the colors they show on Pinterest, but I really think they have been photo-shopped!

• nilfa
    7 years ago

Planet I love your post. You sound lie a fool guy. I wish you could color some succulents for me

• hookilau
    7 years ago

PP, my man....pics pretty please!!

• gnappi
    7 years ago

I know this isan old comment, but some things REALLY NEED TO BE SAID again to sink into the heads of thread hijackers...

"No one asked for your opinion, they asked for your advice"

Giving a rude unsolicited opinion does nothing but add heat instead of light to a subject.

If planet is still on this site, kudos to you.

• Pagan
    7 years ago

I'm absolutely going to try this one.

Pagan

7 years ago

If giving unsolicited opinions was not par for the course, I've have absolutely nothing to write here. Fortunately for you, gnappi, that's not the case.

• nomen_nudum
    7 years ago

A painted cactus that I still have and it's close to one year results

Note: It's called Opuntia microdasys not to be confused as unsolicited opinion

• Pagan
    7 years ago

Unsolicitus opinionatus.

I know nothing of declension in the Latin.

• nomen_nudum
    7 years ago

declension also meaning a condition of decline or moral deterioration

yep it's on the decline but only because it was severely over potted and didn't thrive on neglet

7 years ago

fake,

It's definitely neuter in gender, and sometimes imperatively declined.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    7 years ago

My wife tells me I'm imperatively inclined.

tj

7 years ago

Imperatively reclined is how I'll be tonight.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner