Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spikef35

Whats up with my cactus

spikef35
9 years ago

My Mexican fence boat has these brown scab spots im pretty sure they are not rot

Comments (22)

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also whats up with this one

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My polvaskia chirpie is also brown at the bottom

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also whys my polvaskia chirpie brown at the bottom

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Spike,
    Clearer pictures would help, specifically of the spots you're worried about.
    Many plants create scabs over wounds and they are brownish in color. Also, many cactus produce corking as they age (this is quite natural) and it begins from the bottom of the plant. This may be what your Polaskia chichipe is doing, but again, pictures are worth a thousand words.

Nancy

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok here's some pictures

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is new

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

This is new

How do you define "this"? The plant is new? Some aspect of the plant has recently changed? Or maybe you're talking about something I can't see?

By mexican fence boat, I assume you mean "Mexican Fence Post"? Is it living outside or inside? And if it's outside, where are you and what are the conditions/weather? And what is it planted in?

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Its in a green house I've hade the plant I said this is new about for awile

• kwie2011
    9 years ago

I don't know what you're looking at on the 2nd photo, but I see two distinct spots on the Mexican fence post. The upper one looks like a scarred bite mark to me. Is it outside? You've kept it looking incredibly clean, but it is very hard to keep smooth cacti and succulents pristine outdoors. Critters, including birds, will often take a taste, then decide they aren't worth eating. The horizontal marks below that look like scars to me too, but I'm no expert. Maybe someone else can say for sure.

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a green house so whats up with the orange on my 4 pic

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry about errors

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Spike,
    The brown spots are scarring on the plant, as kwie said. Whether something took a bite out of the plant or it somehow got bumped/scratched by you or the place where you got the plant from, it's impossible to say.
    As for the orange spot(s), again, it looks like perhaps the plant underwent a little rough treatment where the spines emerge. I would say that the orange is a bit of bruising which may end up in the spines falling off. I have one or two plants doing this right now.
    Your location is essential in getting the proper care information for your plants....for example, July sunshine in California is vastly different than July sun in Maine.....even in a greenhouse. You don't have to give your exact location, but your zone sure would help.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Help us help you.....

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Texas

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So whats wrong with my bunny ear cactus the prickly pear also the one that is turning orange also has stretching

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Need a clearer picture of the bunny ears....it just looks like a fuzzy blur. If your plant is stretching, that means that it is not getting enough/strong enough light. Don't just plop it out into full sun though, ESPECIALLY in Texas! Gradually introduce it to stronger sun light over the course of a week or two; if you notice it starting to get scorched, move it back into a less sunny spot.
    Since we now know that you are in Texas, why the greenhouse?

Nancy

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So just stuff that wont kill the plants and they will most likely survive correct?

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Yes. Etiolation, or stretching, is detrimental in the long run, because it eventually weakens the plant, but the plant can survive for a few years. If you correct the problem, the stretched out part will remain stretched, but any new growth would grow out properly.
    The scabbing and corking, while sometimes unattractive, is just a natural survival technique for these plants.

Nancy

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good i think the orange one is under watered i was the most worried about that one

• kwie2011
    9 years ago

Why do you think it's under-watered? It doesn't look under-watered to me. They lose their fat, bowl shapes and the ridges get deeper when under-watered, which is pretty much never with potted barrel cacti.

If the spines aren't nasty and sharp, it's another sign it has plenty of water. Cacti spines in cultivation tend to become much more "tame" than their wild counterparts because they never get very dry. Yours looks fat and happy to me. Cacti rarely die from drought, but water kills them very fast. But again, I'm no expert.

• kwie2011
    9 years ago

Why do you think it's under-watered? It doesn't look under-watered to me. They lose their fat, bowl shapes and the ridges get deeper when under-watered, which is pretty much never with potted barrel cacti.

If the spines aren't nasty and sharp, it's another sign it has plenty of water. Cacti spines in cultivation tend to become much more "tame" than their wild counterparts because they never get very dry. Yours looks fat and happy to me. Cacti rarely die from drought, but water kills them very fast. But again, I'm no expert.

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So the prickly pear and mammileria need more sun ok

• hijole
    9 years ago

Spike, you doing ok? your plants seem fine especially having a green house which gives them the edge. They actually look very healthy and have very good color too, I would say some times we just get to concerned about little things, not saying your worrying to much but kinda like that.

Just relax and do what your doing they look nice, good night.

Can you please give us your name besides your handle?
    Thanks spike,

Greg

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County