Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
0nametaken0

Will these Succulents do fine indoor?

0nametaken0
10 years ago

Hey guys, recently the thought has been on my mind alot and I feel uneasy. Im new to succulents and plants in general. I live in an apartment, zone 5.

During late winter this year I bought about 32 different succulent species. During spring I made soil (suc soil with perilite, lava rock and pea gravel) and bought a big container. For the remaining summer, they will be happy in my sunny balcony. But when it gets cold, Ill have to bring them indoor because majority are not cold hardy. Whats bothering me is if they will be fine indoors.

I bought sempervivum chicks during December of last year and kept them in my room for the winter. I didnt put them outside because they came from a southern nursery. I didnt want to shock them. But during the months they were in my room, they had indirect sunlight and a little direct sunlight. Many ended up drying out even though I watered them every 3 to 5 days. I guess it was the low humidity. I moved them out a few months ago and a few have flourished. Many though, have not changed at all. So Im worried my succulents will go through the same thing.

These are the ones I have, approximately:

XGraptoveria 'Fred Ives'
xGraptosedum 'Darley Sunshine'
xSedeveria 'Jet Beads'
Crassula Calico Kitten
Sedum burrito
String of Pearls (Senecio rowleyanus)
Pork and Beans (Sedum rubrotinctum)
String of Buttons
Crassula 'Hobbit'
Crassula 'Gollum'
Crassula 'Crosby's Compact'
Sedum Praeltum 'Cristata"
Senecio radicans (String of Bananas)
Schlumbergera truncata

Kalanchoe Maternity
Crosby's Prolific Aloe

Aeonium arboreum 'Atropurpureum' (Purple Aeonium)
Aeonium percarneum cv. 'Kiwi' (Kiwi Aeonium, tricolor)
Senecio mandraliscae, (Blue Chalk Sticks)
crassula tetragona (mini pine tree)
Faucaria tigrina, (TigerâÂÂs jaw)
Graptoveria 'Titubans'
Graptoveria gilva
Kalanchoe 'Houghtonii'
Echeveria 'Haageana'

Comments (8)

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heres another

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last, really showing the dried out ones.

• sradleye
    10 years ago

that's a heck of a list. I have a few of these buttons on a string, donkey tail, Gollum which have all been exclusively indoors including western new York winters. oh and a couple aloe varieties. really hoping my new tiger jaws makes it through the winter. good luck

• emerald1951
    10 years ago

Hi, what a big group of plants...
    I have found that all succulents need lots of light and
    little water without the light and to much water they get leggy indoors....I water very little and put them in a south window....good luck....linda

• sradleye
    10 years ago

the south window thing really makes a big difference. for a while I tried to convince myself my east facing windows were my best options. I switched most of my plants to the south windows and now plants like the Gollum actually grow straight up or almost anyway. for a while there I was pretty much growing horizontally! lol

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

I would keep all of the above indoors for the winter, give them extra light if you can (fluorescents, grow lights or similar). I keep mine under shop lights, but they still get etoliated. Try to keep them healthy & put outside as soon as warm enough.
    Try to google hardiness zones for them too.

I would not keep sempervivum inside (hens & chicks). They will survive winter outdoors, just make sure they are not water-logged. That would kill them regardless if planted in beds or pots.
    Many people keep them inside, that's a mistake. No wonder they are not doing well. If you google for hardiness, you'll find out they are very hardy. Photo shows just one of the pots I have outside for years. We don't have too many choices in colder zones, but hens & chicks are definitely 'it' to overwinter outdoors.
    Rina

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply guys.

My semps will permanently stay outside, I know they are hardy. The rest will go inside when it gets cold. They will be beside or close to a west facing wall. I plant on getting some sort of light for them. I really hope even with less light they make it. How much should I water them? Maybe once a week? Humidity is really low so the soil will dry out quick.

• paul_
    10 years ago

It will take some experimenting on your part. Over the winter provide as much light as you can. If you have a cooler room/chilly window ledge try putting them there and don't water much at all. If temps are cool and water is scarce, growth should be retarded thus reducing etiolation and the risk of rot.