Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Funkiest root you have ever seen? (URGENT)

Posted by bkvlad21 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 21:51

Following Joe's advice and other great minds' I have re-potted my Jade into a gritty mix and into a smaller pot.

Everyone was curious about the rootball of my Jade...
Well... "ball" you say?

Because the horisontal part of the jade is so wide, I had to place my jade all the way one the side once again (in order to fit into an even smaller pot - which was suggested)

Did I make everything right? What does it mean? Should I repot once again ASAP in order to place my Jade in the middle of a bigger pot so that she would be able to develop normal roots?
HELP! :)

10537127 10201497955209580 4719981370834344093 n

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Funkiest root you have ever seen? (URGENT)

Nice looking soil, first of all. But yes.. that root looks quite abused and have not much left. I don't see the point of repotting again so soon, plus there's simply not much you can do at the moment. I don't think it matters if the plant is centered or not, at least for now it doesn't.

Leave it in that nice soil and see what happens in 2-3 weeks. Feel free to post updates here.

Good luck!

o

Why not just cut off the 'horizontal' section completely, leaving that first small root before the cut? I think the plant will grow better without it. You are making things more complicated than they need to be.

Christopher.

o

Too long a part of the stem buried into the soil, so such roots are growing. Roots rose from each internode.

Oksana.

o

Leave it in the soil and when you repot it again in a couple years then you'll see what happens

o

Me, I would cut at just below the first root as mentioned above. AND I would look around for another cutting. 8 years makes me really wonder about if the cells are so old and cemented in their habit of non thriving that it might be hard to change. (This is non scientific thinking and the pessimist in me). Failure to thrive and hanging on might be all it can do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here