Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Lesson: Check Twice before Throwing It Out

Posted by pirate_girl Zone7 NYC (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 22:09

Hi All,

So I was rooting a Sans. leaf, for a longggggggtime & got curious, pulled the leaf out & it was a goner so I tossed it. I put the pot back w/out looking further & thought Oh Well.

A month or so later, I picked up the pot to plant something else in it & found this:

Photobucket

It seems there was still a rhizome in the pot & these are baby Sans. starting to pop up (that's all that was in that pot). I'll post further as they develop; fun accident.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Lesson: Check Twice before Throwing It Out

Did something similar with an outdoor plant that was dormant the other day. I don't know what I was thinking. I didn't even check since it lost its leaves the moment I planted it 3 months ago. Tricodesma scottii. It looked just like brown twigs sticking out of the ground so I yanked it out and started beating on the rootball to break up some of the soil before I tossed it and only then did I realize there were young dormant leaves and one of the stems was still green inside.

So dumb. I put it back in the ground but we'll see if it recovers from the indignity I put it through.

o

That's so cool! I see 3 pups! You must be pretty excited about that. They sure are cute.

Don't know if you remember seeing one of my pots of Sans with a Dief in its' pot, but I literally yanked the Dief out of that pot a few weeks ago and although hardly any roots came with it, it's doing well in its' own little pot. AND I noticed more Dief sprouting in the Sans yesterday. Some plants really want to live.

o

Yeah Clematis, the things we do to these plants, huh? Here's hoping yours recovers.

Hi Purple,

Yes, I did see your post about the the Dief w/ Sans. pot, they sure are determined. As I said in my other post about this (at Sans. forum, I think)

"These plants are so determined to live NO MATTER WHAT!!!"

Can't wait for these little things to get a big bigger, you're right, they're gonna be soooo cute! Don't I sound like a proud mother?

o

Just one of the serendipitous occurrences that make gardening so special. Congratulations, Karen.

o

Plants are amazingly resilient. It is so hard to throw out even the smallest plant.

o

Yes, thanks Marguerite, they really are pretty amazing these plants.

I'm misting them every few days as it's been super hot in NYC lately, 100 degrees 2 days ago & I have no AC. I don't want them to get dried out, which I've had happen w/ some seedlings in these weather extreme.

I hope Norma sees this, she'd be delighted & I'm quick to say it was one of her suggestions, even if I didn't do it deliberately.

o
RE: The Latest Update on Sans Youngins

So I took more pix in btwn but forgot to upload them. Here's what it's looking like these days, pix from last week.

Photobucket

a bit closer

Photobucket

Check out the great looking roots at base of largest pup.

Photobucket

Here's to you Norma, for egging me on so... ;>)

Photobucket

I'm watering frequently & misting every 3rd day of so, lest it dry out. It's still pretty hot here in NYC.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here