Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stickstring

Is this a succulent?

My mom took a cutting of a flower she has and potted it up for me. She instructed me to keep it in partial sun/shade. She roots these particular flowers ALOT. While waiting for new growth, I went outback to water the cutting and found this little plant growing out of nowhere. I have no clue what it is but the leaves remind me of a succulent. I showed my wife and she agree's but doesn't know what it is either.
Can anyone help identify this plant? I repotted it just incase it was worth keeping but.....???
Thanks to everyone!

Comments (6)

• stickstring ( Sonoma County, CA 9B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another pic

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Looks like a Portulaca oleraca cultivar. Though you didn't mention any flowers!

If so, it is a full sun plant with a low water requirement. Yes, a succulent.

• mingtea
    9 years ago

... But mostly a weed.

-Ming

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Or an edible.

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Cumulative of all above, yes, Portulaca oleracea, but maybe not a cultivar (which would have larger, prettier flowers). See link below for pix with this plant's blooms. It is a weed that comes up everywhere in my yard. Some I leave, some I pull. Some people eat them...like them in salads. I don't think I'd try it. :P

Here is a link that might be useful: Portulaca ~ Common Purslane

• stickstring ( Sonoma County, CA 9B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much for the information. My wife and I really appreciate it. I don't think I will be keeping it.