Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a succulent?

Posted by StickString Ca (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 22:31

My mom took a cutting of a flower she has and potted it up for me. She instructed me to keep it in partial sun/shade. She roots these particular flowers ALOT. While waiting for new growth, I went outback to water the cutting and found this little plant growing out of nowhere. I have no clue what it is but the leaves remind me of a succulent. I showed my wife and she agree's but doesn't know what it is either.
Can anyone help identify this plant? I repotted it just incase it was worth keeping but.....???
Thanks to everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a succulent?

Another pic

o

Looks like a Portulaca oleraca cultivar. Though you didn't mention any flowers!

If so, it is a full sun plant with a low water requirement. Yes, a succulent.

o

... But mostly a weed.

-Ming

o

Or an edible.

o

Cumulative of all above, yes, Portulaca oleracea, but maybe not a cultivar (which would have larger, prettier flowers). See link below for pix with this plant's blooms. It is a weed that comes up everywhere in my yard. Some I leave, some I pull. Some people eat them...like them in salads. I don't think I'd try it. :P

Here is a link that might be useful: Portulaca ~ Common Purslane

o

Thank you all so much for the information. My wife and I really appreciate it. I don't think I will be keeping it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here