Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rocks for cacti

Posted by luv_daises (h_cassell@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 22:41

Where can you buy the "little" rocks that you put in the cactus ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rocks for cacti

Not sure if you're talking soil amendment or decorative top dressing. Both could be found in garden center depending where you are, but your best bet is probably looking for them at farm feed store, according to most people's experience here.

o

I use pea gravel. Aside from the fact I have it all over my front and back yard, there is a landscape supply place here that lets you buy their materials by the bucket instead of the ton. Maybe you've got a place like that?

-Ming

o

Ming, do you use pea gravel as soil amendment or just as top dressing? The pea gravel I see available here seem big to put in potting mix.

o

I use crushed fair lane pink granite. I also use small pea gravel, small fossils, crushed glass.

o

Best bet? Anthill (for small plants), crumbling granite face (for larger ones), decomposing boulders (for largest plants). Also, some roofing companies and feed stores (ask there for poultry grit, making sure you don't get poultry scratch).

Yep, I'm a top dressing geek going on for more than a decade.

o

Top dress everything I can remember to fo' sho'! Especially since I'm a hose waterer.
Awesome tip on the anthills, Jeff. I'll be raiding the wash soon...
-Ming

o

I guess I am looking for the top dressing.

o

• Posted by rina_ 5a Ont (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 23:56

Then you have lot of choices...wantonemara and cactusmcharris gave great suggestions.

o

pet stores have aquarium pebbles if you want garish colors.. Go down to a stream and look around for whatever strikes your fancy.

o

I will chime in with my, perhaps, silly question: how about top dressings for Opuntia, Holiday cacti (TC, CC, EC), Donkey's tail and Stapelia? Perhaps I could use keramzit (expanded clay) as the top dressing, but is it advisable to use any kind of top dressings for them? Otherwise I am watching as the ground around the place where I keep my plants in the Summer gets littered with perlite...

Liene

o

One of the functions of top dressing is to keep the perlite from floating out of the pot. Another function is it acts to keep the soil cooler.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here