Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wondering what it may have been

Posted by paul_ z5 MI (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 22:44

Saw an NoID succulent at a garden shop the other day. Almost picked it up but remained strong.

The leaves reminded me strongly of the white varigated jade leaves of some the plants folks have posted on this forum. The white was very dominate in the leaves.

The leaves, which were about twice as thick as most jade leaves I have seen, had a quite a dense coat of soft white fuzz completely covering the leaves. Other than the thickness, the leaves were about the same size and overall shape of a standard jade. Until you got to the distal portion of the leaf, that is. Then instead of being rounded as in ovata, they were flatter with several short, thick/fleshy "teeth".

The stem was thin and very flexible -- completely unlike ovata.

I was guessing that perhaps it was some type of kalanchoe. The people working there had no clue whatsoever. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wondering what it may have been

I have no idea without a pic O_o

o

"I have no idea without a pic O_o "

And that I cannot provide.

o

From reading about the fuzziness and the 'teeth ' im thinking a young Kalanchoe beharensis 'fang'

o

From your description, sounds like a variegated Cotyledon tomentosa ssp. tomentosa. Did it look something like mine below (except white instead of yellow)?

o

Rosemary, what a cutie.

o

I wouldnt have thought of that one rosemarie ... seems like it would fit the description better ... do you know the care for these? I have two that seem to no be doing their best

o

From your description, sounds like a variegated Cotyledon tomentosa ssp. tomentosa. Did it look something like mine below (except white instead of yellow)? -- rosemariero6

YES!!!

o

I love the look of "Bear Paws."

Planto

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here