Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lotstoplant

where to whack?

Lotstoplant
9 years ago

Following advice from the house plant forum, I have posted a picture of a recently inherited jade plant. I have prematurely repotted it in a "not so appropriate" soil. I will fix that when I go to town this week and am able to purchase what is needed. What I also need is some direction to get this lovely plant on the right track to good health. Any suggestions are welcome.

Comments (6)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

First of all, anything overhanging the rim of the pot. Secondly, any small limbs / branches. Thirdly, do so to your own aesthetic, but I'd be brutal with it (I am with my own).

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

Good to see you came over here, because there is quite a few people experienced in jades. I see you've found out something about soil, but if you have any questions on that, do ask.

As for what I'd do, as noted above, I'd get rid of anything that is flopping over the pot rim. I'd also cut out anything that is growing downwards, or excessively outwards. If you cut right above a node, which you can see by the little lines in the stems, you'll get branching from that spot. I personally like the top of your jade, specifically the top of that main, large trunked section. I wouldn't chop that down much at all, but rather nip some of the smaller branches back a bit. Jades can tolerate some serious chopping, including right down to the base, so don't be afraid to do the work. Ultimately, you have to try and picture what you want your jade to look like some day, and cut based on that. I like to form them into sculptural trees, rather than bushy shrubs, which makes me drool over that large trunked section of your jade.

A side note: you can also separate the trunks and create more than one plant, which will be easy if you remove ALL of the old soil and pot into a gritty type mix. Please take pics and keep us posted, cuz I am excited to see how this project turns out.

Joe

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Example but like others I would would cut back harder and add some wire

• Lotstoplant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WOW, you guys are unbelievably helpful! Your energy is so rubbing off on me. ;) Now with the clippings I remove...I can't bring myself to throw them out. (been a nurse for 25 years and still have the "save the world" mentality) Can I propagate them in water and root stimulating hormone?
    Linda

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Linda,

No, water propagation is not suggested. Let them sit for a week and plant in your potting soil. Mist them every third day, keep them warm (but not hot) and they should be rooted in a month or so.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Skip the water for propagating. Setting them on top of some mix in a mostly shaded location should be enough. Once roots appear, pot the cuttings.

I agree with the others...Jeff, Joe....clean up the dangling, drooping, hanging stuff, then "lift" the skirt a bit to show off the trunk. After that, it's up to your discretion.

Be sure to look at the plant from all sides. Taking pics and viewing them on the computer might help, as well.

Josh