10 years ago

sorry i meant diffusa, not peyote
but peyote is still legal in canada, unlike u.s and mexico
Williamsii is a year old now.

This post was edited by wiley1983 on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 18:55

Comments (13)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

In the "dirt"? What does that mean? In-ground outside?
    I would use a well-draining, porous mix. They may be like other cacti whose juvenile seedlings need to be kept more moist than the mature specimens.

Josh

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Wiley, first off, a cautionary word about using "Peyote" as a general term for all members of the Lophophora genus. Peyote specifically makes reference to Lophophora williamsii. Next, as a very wise gentleman on this forum from BC advised me, be careful what you say on public places as Big Brother is out there and is watching and listening! And lastly, Steven doesn't have listed on his current seed list the afore mentioned seed; he has several of the other species of this genus.

The seedlings in the picture were sown 6/2012. They are NOT L. williamsii but all of the other species offered by Mesa Gardens. As you can see the mix is very gritty. I water when the mix dries on the surface but not a soaking. I have the in moderate light and keep them very warm.

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 8:00

10 years ago

I really like that container set-up!

Josh

• wiley1983
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sorry about the peyote thing.......... guess i was over-excited!!! it is diffusa, but i have williamsii also, they are still only 9 months ola.
    bikerdoc, i love your setup, your babies are looking great!!!!!! Do you have any more tips for growing lophophora?? Do you put a little limestone in your soil mix??

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Yes to lime. I use crushed sea shells.

• paul_
    10 years ago

Also, williamsii is not illegal in the US though many folks are misinformed in that regard. As I understand it, it is illegal to use williamsii -- unless you are of certain Native American tribes -- and illegal to harvest front the wild. Still, even with that said, probably unwise to let it become common knowledge if you do have one. Too many idiots out there who would likely break into one's greenhouse with theft in mind.

• wiley1983
    Original Author
    10 years ago

as far as im concerned, it is a beautiful plant with beautiful blooms that adds greatly to a cacti collection. I didn't know it isn't illegal, i thought it was, i guess you learn something new every day! I think everyone who loves cacti should have a few, they're great!

• penfold2
    10 years ago

Peyote is a Schedule I drug in the US, which makes it illegal to possess. I know there are some that grow it, but people should be aware of the potential consequences if they choose to do so.

10 years ago

We've grown poppies, datura, and san pedro, but never processed the plants.

Josh

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Chris is correct with the following guide lines per the DoJ/DEA:

"Except as specifically authorized, it is illegal for any person:
    to manufacture, distribute, or dispense, or possess with intent to manufacture, distribute, or dispense, a controlled substance; or
    to create, distribute, or dispense, or possess with intent to distribute or dispense, a counterfeit substance.[2]"

• CactusN00b
    10 years ago

By all means . take this comment with a grain of salt .. I'm certainly no law expert ..

but I think the key phrase there is "posses with INTENT to manufacture, distribute, or dispense" . Growing a plant for the sake of growing it doesn't really fit "intent"...

Having said that .. i would choose not to grow them just to avoid any potential headaches when an an ignorant neighbor had the DEA showing up at your house to check it ( and every other inch of your place ) out.

Sometimes being in the right just isn't good enough...

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Cactus, no grain of salt necessary. You are exactly correct and it is a shame good honest people can't enjoy their hobby without some unhappy individual showing major disrespect. Don't mess with the DOJ/DEA... I have had to deal with them for the past 40 years and my drug license.... what a pain in my @$$!

• penfold2
    10 years ago

Peyote is in the same category as Cannabis; both are Schedule I drugs. If the argument "I'm only growing it as an ornamental" actually worked, there would be a lot more people growing "ornamental" pot. No one should make the mistake of thinking they are in the clear simply because they have no intent to consume or sell it.