Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuroc

aloe tree care in pots

kuroc
9 years ago

I already have an aloe plicatilis. I just ordered some more online.

Arid lands:
Aloe ramosissima 3 inch
Aloe marlothii 1 gallon
Aloe barberae 1 gallon

Ebay:
aloe dichotoma x aloe ramosissima 1gallon

What is the best potting medium for these should the water run right though it?
Will these enter summer dormancy in my area? (I live in southwest arkansas)

What sunlight is alright for them at first?
What size terra cotta pots should I pot the one gallon plants into?
What final pot size should I aim for?

Comments (7)

• tweathers
    9 years ago

Depends on how old they are depending on sunlight and if they are use to direct sunlight or not try like 30 min of direct full sunlight then slowly move up to more time also with aloes you don't have to get a deep pot as long as it's wide so doesn't matter too much as long as the got growing room! Hope this helped

• tweathers
    9 years ago

That's a decent size aloe carmine "hybrid" and you see the size it has done amazing as you can see the red pillars stems of flowers!

• kuroc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My package from arid lands came in today. happy dance :)

It includes:

Haworthia truncata var. truncata 4-inch pots
    1 x Adansonia rubrostipa 5-inch pots
    1 x Aloe ramosissima 3-inch pots
    1 x Aloe marlothii one-gallon pots
    1 x Aloe barberae one-gallon pots
    1 x Pachypodium densiflorum 3-inch pots

• xerophyte NYC
    9 years ago

MOST IMPORTANT rule of thumb for large potted Aloes: they need lots of root room in pots, and the roots are extremely sensitive to temperature variation especially cold - so use bigger/ deeper pots than you think. Pure perlite is fine as it is light and won't get soggy even if you try. Make sure to supplement a well-balanced fert.

Aloes do not like hot and wet, which will be a challenge in Arkansas - though marlothii and barberae may be as tolerant as any other...also vaombe, you may want to try that one. They can take a Florida summer. So can barberae. Aloe thraskii is more or less tolerant of summer rains as well.

Ramosissima: good luck! Be prepared for untimely death. These are particularly sensitive. Never let the roots dry out completely. I will be shocked if you can keep this alive and healthy long term. Go ahead and prove me wrong, I dare you! :-)

Marlothii: easy, but will get very heavy and difficult to move in pots

Barberae: also easy, can get tall fast, but will slow down as roots are restricted

If you want an almost bulletproof tree aloe, I recommend Aloe Hercules. Mine is now almost 7-ft tall not including the pot. Base of stem must be 7-8 inches diameter. I need a dolly to lug it around. Potted plants are not as cold hardy as in the ground. A light frost will damage the leaves, so be careful.

I had A. dichotoma in a pot, also about 6-ft, but this past winter it finally rotted: VERY difficult keeping the root zone at the right temp/ moisture indoors in the cold.

You will need to either find a cool winter space where the plants will stop growing, or find some spot with excellent lighting. Avoid weak winter growth. Dormant is better. Trust me. I've been doing this a l o n g time.

x

• kuroc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are some pics.
    Aloe barberae
    {{gwi:599639}}

Aloe marlothii
    {{gwi:599640}}

Aloe ramosissima

{{gwi:599641}}

ALOE RAMOSISSIMA X DICHOTOMA

{{gwi:599642}}

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

So cool! I definitely want to add some aloes into my collection, but I can only take small ones... Right now I'm thinking Aloe variegata. But some of these prickly aloe also catches my attention quite a bit

• kuroc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After I repot and wait a few days to water it will be in the nintys next week. Should I wait to water until it cools down?